Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Creaking bike quandary .
  • oldfart

Kona Process , upgraded wheels to Hope/Stans combo about 2 years ago . All fine for a long time then a creak started at the back . Long story short had frame bearings replaced , umpteen trips to bike shop , bike would be fine for about 5 rides then it would start again . Trying to eliminate certain things put the original back wheel in , silence ! Just done a trip to Canada with old wheel in , some real tough riding 12 days straight no creaking ( it’s always under load ) and there was more than enough load on that trip ! So I’ve had the Hope wheel looked at hub and freehub overhauled spoke tension done . Put the wheel back in two rides in and Mr Creak is back ! To me it’s pointing to the wheel but another theory is the wheel is a much stiffer build than the original Deore hub WTB rim that it’s highlighting an issue with the frame ? With new bearings , bottom bracket etc there can’t be much more to have problems with ? Seems like I’m going to have to accept I’ve got a noisy bike 🙁

jekkyl

Greased the mech hanger? Greased round where the axles meet the frame?

oldfart

Axle interface yep , mech hanger ? Hmm ? But the hanger wouldn’t move would it ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldfart

Bump

captaindanger

Cassette? Either freehub interface or the cassette itself. I had a similar problem on my commuter, thought it was the BB but turned out to be the chain, particularly where it was too worn to engage with the chainring teeth on the bottom of the ring

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Creaking bike quandary .’ is closed to new replies.