Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • creaking
  • andybrad

Ok gents,

Last night I went for a very short ride. Unfortunately it was short because I ended up getting what sounds like a crack / creak from my forks (pikes 2016) now the only thing is the bike hasn’t been washed in a few weeks (usually washed every week) and ive not noticed this before.

It sounds like when you over tighten a bolt in alu, I cant replicate it by jumping on the forks when the bike is stationary, twisting the bars. Ive had the front wheel out and the bike upside down (sitting on the downtube and feet on the bars) and twisting the legs I cant get it to make the noise. Riding along it doesn’t make the noise. Only when lifting the dront wheel up In the air and hard onto the ground (like jumping off a curb) can I get it to make the noise.

Now im struggling to pinpoint it. It sounds like its coming from the forks but im not 100% sure. I regreased the stem, checked the top cap etc and it all seems fine. In a last ditched attempt to see if it went away I covered everything in muc off silicone spray to see if it was something that had got a bit dry. Still the same.

So headset is syntace from January. Renthal stem and syntace bars same and never made a noise before. So any other ideas on how to track exactly where its coming from? Im reluctant to warranty them

wilko1999
    Free Member

Exactly the same thing happened to mine last week. Same symptoms, and I tried all the things you did to replicate the creak while off the bike. It only happens when I’m riding. It is definitely the forks though, I think its actually internal, as opposed to the CSU coming loose. I’ve got oil leaking from around the rebound knob and the damping is starting to feel terrible. Mine are 6 months old and are going back to supplier later this week

globalti
    Free Member

Send the forks back and fit some rigid carbon ones for trouble-free riding.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

it WILL be the forks, given you’ve regreased everything, ive had it a few times om pikes and its renowned as being the culprit….and still think my 36’s have some weird click going on every so often (but not all the time), if you slam the front brake on (do an endo) youll usually hear the same noise straight away

was told by rockshox/sram and mojo its people using muc off et al to clean which eventually gets into the glue bond between stanchions and fork leg that causes it (basically removing some traces of the super strong glue), so when you have them replaced try not using muc off directly near the fork legs (especially if upside down to clean)

andybrad

anyone know whats happening with LOCO tuning? i cant get hold of them via email or phone

johnw1984
    Free Member

Going through the same thing on my bike at them moment. What bike is it by the way? My Aeris is creaking like mad after 3-4 rides.

I’ve had front wheel out of my Yari and tried to move the legs, but there’s no creak coming from there.

I can make it sound really bad when I’m stood on the pedals rocking from left to right. I’m going to strip and grease everything tonight to see if I can locate it.

andybrad

these were purchased retail from loco in jan.

timidwheeler

I had a very similar problem. It turned out it was the brake hose rubbing where it went into the frame.

It really sounded like it was the fork.

andybrad

soooo, feeling a bit silly now. I rebuilt the front end 3 times last night. torqued and greased everything and it was still there. Got late and had an argument with the missus so escaped back to the garage to ponder. Thought i would check the torque on all other bolts.

So it seemed that the rear shock bolt was a little tight. Took it out and greased the needle bearings and it seems that the noise has gone on a bit of a bounce. Will find out tonight if its fixed it. Ill be thankful if it is.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Hopefully you’ve found your creak.

I can make mine creak badly when I have the front brake on and rock back and forth.

I still suspect mine’s the fork, but when I take the wheel out and move the legs by hand, they don’t make a sound.

andybrad

fixed it. both feeling daft and releaved.

time to strip the whole thing i think. Only ridden since jan.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘creaking’ is closed to new replies.