• This topic has 28 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Dibbs.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Creak on climbs on downstroke
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Any ideas, annoying as it disappeared a few weeks ago but equally came out of no where too

I can create the same noise by pushing foot down on crank arms stationary especially the left crank

So far I’ve checked pedals, new frame bearings as were roughly due, ruled out rear wheel/freehub/cassette, does it regardless of out of saddle so rules that out, had cranks off and greased everything, greased 3 year old ck bb, no play in rear shock etc etc, new chain on but not new chainring but was doing it before the new chain

Can’t really think of anything else to try so random that it disappears for two weeks then suddenly comes back again, any ideas?

gwaelod
    Free Member

cleats in your shoes?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Could be tonnes of things and creaks can seem to come from somewhere where it isn’t.

But, while no apparent play in the shock, I’d look at the bushings. Often had creaking that’s come from them. Washing the bike may make it go away for a ride and then come back, or it varies depending on conditions on the day I’ve found.

Pop the shock off and clean up the eyelet bushings. If it has top hat mounts and they fall out easily or the bushing comes out easy, then replace bushings (or consider getting a heavy duty mount kit and poly bushings. I get very little problem since doing that). Don’t be tempted to grease them by the way. That will suck in dirt and it’ll creak for sure (and wear them out).

Another one – is the BB threaded or press fit? If press fit, then good chance there’s your problem.

gelert
    Free Member

I found my squeak. Similarly only happens on the down stroke in low gears.

XT M8000 rear mech clutch. Turn clutch off… noise gone. Done under 200 miles on it, it’s new. Annoying.

Don’t know what to do about it so suffering it for now. On my old mech, a Zee, the clutch made noises it exploded internally and LBS / Madison didn’t want to know about warranty at all. I decided to go 11 speed rather than get a new Zee.

jekkyl

Grease round the mech hanger?
    Cable outers rubbing in the stays?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Deadkenny – cheers will look at bushings but shock from new is only 2 months old, but worth a check thanks, it’s a threaded ck bb and I’ve never had it creak before on previous frames, though it’s had a lot of use its always greased with the tool once a month, spins smoothly etc

Good shout on the xt rear clutch mech I’ve been thinking mine seems a bit shit lately too, I did kinda check that as I’ve had it make weird noises before, but sadly when the clutch is off it still does it, last year it was that that caused a weird noise, as it instantly disappeared when the clutch was off, I will strip it and clean it all though

Jekyll – have greased up the hanger and a
    I’ve held the cables away from frame and it’s nothing obvious there either

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Chainring bolts, pedal axle?

timidwheeler

In my experience it’s always the pedals. I know you say you have checked them, but have you tried swapping them with some from a non-creaking bike?

antigee

covered a lot of angles there – but I’d second the check chainring bolts – had my first ever loose one a couple of weeks ago – a bit of a surprise

not helpful but it took me several rides to work out that an odd metallic chinking sound was the zip pull on my new rain jacket tapping on the top tube!

i_like_food

My creak turned out to be a carbon seat post in a carbon frame. Carbon paste fixed it, took me ages to find though.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Pedals – makes no difference, I can replicate the noise cranking down on the crank arms them self, with trainers on stationary so rules out pedals/cleats

Chainrings bolts – it’s a direct mount one and isn’t loose and only uses three bolts

Starting to think maybe loose pivot or just chainrings worn and making clicky noises

Leku
    Free Member

Headset bearings

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

New about 4 months ago and had them out recently and greased seem fine

deadkenny
    Free Member

Good point on the clutch mech actually. A few people I know have found their creak to be that, and one of mine was doing it a bit recently then it went away again. In my case, SRAM Type 2 so there’s no on/off switch to test, it’s just always on.

callmetc
    Free Member

My creek turned out to be the braided hose rubbing on the frame.

docgeoffyjones

Stem bolts?

Stevelol
    Free Member

Jockey wheels.

scaredypants

cable ends (especially if the bike’s not rigid) – mine used to do it when they dried out, so the sound would randomly appear and disappear

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well tonights the test and im 99.9% sure i cured it

it was indeed the chainring bolts, well one basically fell out when i unscrewed the t25 just slightly! given theres only 3 small bolts on the direct mount ones i guess that could cause a fair bit of movement/clicks on the climbs!

tested it straiht after stationary and it disappeared completely!

so 10/10 and gold star to thestabiliser! well done squire and thank you again re-reading the thread made me check everything! stupidly the only thing id not properly checked, although i did have the cranks off 2 weeks ago

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Dirty headset

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Remember this day, this glorious sunkissed day. Take it to your bosom for eternity. For today, my friends, I got something right.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member

Remember this day, this glorious sunkissed day. Take it to your bosom for eternity. For today, my friends, I got something right.

😆 8)

well its not confirmed yet, but the click was there directly prior to finding said loose bolt, and upon’st putting back together again it completely disappeared! albeit all stationary, but it was the exact same click! hills are a’ comin tonight! 👿

jekkyl

Let me guess where……just for a change 😉

tomd
    Free Member

Fork CSU. My Fox 32s creak a good un but it sounds for all the world like it’s the BB or headset.

Other odd one I’ve had is a creaky hub axle (it was slightly out of tolerance).

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member

Let me guess where……just for a change

😆 ITS PRIMMMOOOO I TELL THEEEEE’ BUT YEAH HAHA

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I can indeed confirm it was the chainring bolts, like a new bike again now, totally silent and stealth! thanks again for input 🙂

for any one else experiencing clicks (for futures google searchers), if its under load climbing, theres a good chance its your chainring bolts!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I just chased the exact same thing last weekend. Thought it was my pedal too, but no. Chainring/chainring bolts.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

so frustrating, but once one of the three bolts literally fell out when I unscrewed a tiny bit I kinda knew Id hit the jackpot 🙂

may have to Loctite them next time, though getting a t25 to the three bolts is tricky due to the positioning of the them on xx1 cranks

still, glad its all sorted now 8)

Dibbs
    Free Member

Headset bearings

+1

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Creak on climbs on downstroke’ is closed to new replies.