Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Creak Diagnosed
  • turboferret

Noticed some minor creaking on the way home tonight, a quick look at the bike revealed a minor issue….

Can you tell what the problem is (apart from the camera on my phone being terrible)?

Cheers, Rich

Hicksy
    Free Member

I’m guessing it’s that chain ring bolt that’s making all the noise!

tillydog
    Free Member

Somebody’s stolen your chain and replaced it with a rubber band?

(You knew it would be coming… 😀 )

(How on earth do you “lose” that many chainring bolts? Has somebody pinched them ?? )

simondbarnes

Yourbikehatesyou

vincienup
    Free Member

Quite surprised that only makes ‘minor creaking’ 🙂

Good save!

turboferret

Yeah, I think if I remove that bolt it’ll be much quieter!

Not quite sure how I’ve managed to lose that many bolts though, I’ve never lost one before in many years of abusing bikes. Maybe my wife has been sneaking out to the shed and loosening them off, although as I have the only key, that sounds unlikely 🙂

Quite glad I had a look this evening rather than waiting for the inevitable slightly sub-optimal consequences. Incidentally, I actually bought a proper chainring tool last week, so I’ll get a chance to use it now 😀

Cheers, Rich

Wally

Still using your battery casings Turbo, awesome bit of DIY.

turboferret

Glad that’s working better than my ability to tighten chainring bolts 😀

Cheers, Rich

windysurfer
    Free Member

Long shot but I don’t suppose your still doing the battery box’s?

Be interested in one if you are

martymac

Proper lol @ ‘sub optimal consequences’
    We call that a bollock stem interface

maccruiskeen

So it turns out chainring bolts are just unnecessary clutter.

You’re on the brink of a new drive train standard.

3x…
    2x…
    1x…
    All hail 0x….

jam-bo

I had similar with a rear disc recently. It was feeling a bit odd and I also had a rattle that stopped when I braked.

When I finally stopped to have a look I had 2 of 6 bolts left! And one was hanging on by a couple of threads…

Made it home by stealing 2 from the front disc.

chakaping
    Free Member

I know belt drive is supposed to be low maintenance, but you’ve been taking the piss a bit there.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Loctite 243 next time. 🙄

turboferret

New bolts ordered, and I have plenty of different sorts of Loctite in the shed which I shall make use of 🙂

I did have the centre-lock rear disc come loose on an early ride and get all rattly, that did get some Loctite on re-assembly!

Cheers, Rich

matt_outandabout

Could they have been nicked?

turboferret

I’m hoping not, that would suggest I have a saboteur in the midst…

Cheers, Rich

turboferret

So, the new short chainring bolts I ordered arrived, complete with Haribo, in the usual speedy manner which I expect from Wiggle, and I went to fit them.

However, I discovered that the idiot who had assembled the bike originally had blindly assumed that short bolts were required without doing his due diligence 😳 The Gates Carbon Drive belt pulley (as opposed to a chainring) does not have counter-bored bolt holes, so normal length bolts are actually required. The short ones had the sleeve only protruding through the pulley, not into the crank-arm, and the threads were loose in the arm. This means the pulley was free to move a bit, making it understandable how the bolts came loose, chewing up the crank-arm holes in the process.

Normal length bolts duly ordered and I’ll have another attempt to rectify when they arrive!

Cheers, Rich

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Creak Diagnosed’ is closed to new replies.