Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • CRC XX1
  • howie1
    Free Member

Received my CRC Sram XX1 cassete & shifter today,no Sram packaging & not a fan of the hand griveling of serial number removal especially on the shifter.

Anyone else had it done to theres?

njee20
    Free Member

What is griveling?!

gavstorie
    Free Member

griveling ?

gavstorie
    Free Member

Grivelings are creatures believed to be natives of the elemental plane of Earth

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/grivelin.php

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Never mind.

gavstorie
    Free Member

Too slow Jimoiseau 🙂

jimoiseau
    Free Member

🙁

howie1
    Free Member

Its a term used for hand grinding Carbon etc I think

njee20
    Free Member

You think?

So you’re saying you had to hand ‘grivel’ your serial number off? Or someone had already done it?

JCL
    Free Member

You want OEM pricing? You get OEM product.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i wonder how they manage to sell things so cheaply?

howie1
    Free Member

ok what about attacked with a Dremel, any better?

howie1
    Free Member

Bike discount manage it!

flange
    Free Member

I had a similar issue years ago with Merlin and a set of RS forks.

They file the numbers off for a reason – my understanding was that they buy up all the old complete bikes that distributors can’t sell, break them for parts and see them on. The serial number is filed off so you can’t trace the parts. Problem with this is that if you need to claim on warrenty, the supplier won’t honour it.

howie1
    Free Member

Also no mention of OEM on the site.

flange
    Free Member

I’m pretty certain if you kick up a fuss they’ll replace it with a non OEM part. However I should imagine most don’t and thats how they make their money.

howie1
    Free Member

Sent a cheeky email to them, see what they say.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

howie1 – Member
    Bike discount manage it!

i know.. that’s why i bought my xx1 setup from there 😉

chip
    Free Member

I bought an xt shifter a couple of weeks ago.
    And it is slightly different in appearance to the xt shifters I bought a few months ago from them.
    No cover plate to cap the display and operation is ever so slightly gritty.

Also came without packaging which the previous shifters came with.
    It’s not to the quality of the previous purchase but no way of knowing when ordering, but I did pay less.

If I was that bothered I could send it back and go else where.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

They don’t buy up bikes and break them. Sram offer very good OEM pricing to manufacturers to spec their kit on production bikes. Manufactures generally order a lot more than they need and flog on the rest.

The stuff without serial numbers is probably a very grey market and I wouldn’t expect to receive it unless it was stated at time of sale and was heavily discounted too. CRC isn’t even that cheap for XX1 stuff.

howie1
    Free Member

Just think if it is OEM stuff they should come clean from the time of order.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I asked merlin about this and they said it was done so that SRAM could not trace it back to the companies selling it on but it is new. They also said it was not them that did it as they did not care as “grey” is legal and technically the manufacturers cannot enforce there rules re RRP. However they can refuse to supply whomever sold it on.
    Cannot comment on CRC an this conversation was at least 4 years ago

Dougal
    Free Member

chip – Member
    No cover plate to cap the display

10s XT shifters don’t come with the cover plate. 9s did. Discovered this a few weeks back.

howie1
    Free Member

After several emails to CRC, & a picture, they agree oem shouldn’t look like it & if I don’t want it send it back, wait a week or so for refund then order from someone else.nice

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I agree retailers should just state clearly if an item is retail or OEM.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

CRC isn’t even that cheap for XX1 stuff.

The core components are all 30%+ off. It’s clearly OE.

howie1
    Free Member

For the cassette & shifter with there 10% off components, they were about 8 pound cheeper than bike discount who sell retail components so not that clear.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

whats the difference in the cassette then? am I missing something here? its oem, you got it cheaper? it doesn’t have a box, you want to keep the box as a memory of your purchase? the cassette differs somehow?!

EDIT : maybe a bit harsh there, didn’t fully read the etching of serial number, especially on shifter id be annoyed too, that’s a bit pants, not really arsed on the cassette but the shifter is a bit crappy, especially if you come to sell it in the future

njee20
    Free Member

21% off shifter from what I can see.

Nano Bike Parts are a chunk cheaper for the shifter at least.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

For the cassette & shifter with there 10% off components, they were about 8 pound cheeper than bike discount who sell retail components so not that clear.

And BD also sell a huge amount of OEM stuff, because they have their own bike brands to access it.

You’re also trying to compare it to another country’s distribution situation too – you have no idea if SRAM in Germany were hugely overstocked on XX1 components, and needed to shift a bulk lot at discount.

Your warranty isn’t with SRAM anyway, even if you had an issue, regardless of whether it had a serial number rubbed/ground off. It’s with CRC. Doesn’t matter where they source the product.

I’d hazard a guess (based on experience) it’s easier returning and dealing with CRC’s warranty department than BD’s too 🙂

Bream
    Free Member

Oh great, having just order a XX1 gear setup from CRC last week I guess it’ll also arrive griveled 😥

At least the cassette came from BD, and that was ungriveled in correct packaging!

honourablegeorge

Hob Nob – Member
    And BD also sell a huge amount of OEM stuff, because they have their own bike brands to access it.

I’d hazard a guess (based on experience) it’s easier returning and dealing with CRC’s warranty department than BD’s too

Can’t speak for bike-discount.de, but bike-components.de have only ever sent me boxed, proper retail Shimano kit, and prices are lower than CRC OEM. Ditto Rose Bikes. And Rose Bikes returns are free postage anywhere in Europe, and are faultless – never had to return to bike-components.de, but have used their online help to resolve an issue, and support was fantastic (and in fluent english)

njee20
    Free Member

My XX1 came from Starbike, who were cheaper than CRC, and it all came boxed in proper packaging.

I spent a few weeks watching prices at half a dozen shops, they’re really really volatile, never seen such regular fluctuations!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

My rear mech and cassette on my krampus build came from the Ukraine via eBay – boxed as well – like njee above I watched prices all over and they are all over every day

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘CRC XX1’ is closed to new replies.