Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • CRC Wheel builds……Any good?
  • WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

Hi,

Usually go to Merlin for wheel builds, but depending on how the research goes on Burgtec hubs I may try CRC for wheel building.

Any opinions on CRC wheel build quality?

ta.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Never had any issues with them. Burgtec on 719.

maxsatnav
    Free Member

same here no probs hope XC on 717 tight and true

dobo
    Free Member

had my xt on 819’s for 2 years from crc? strong, straight and true, heavy though

why burgtec? they are heavy too arnt they?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Had one pair, which has been fine (Pro2 on DT 5.1s) but the Merlin builds I’ve had previously were a bit better. CRC did have more options though, although they seem to have virtually no stock these days so that might not be the case now.

Hairychested
    Free Member

why burgtec? they are heavy too arnt they?

Front hub’s weight is very low, and the bearings are fab.

craig1975
    Free Member

If I where you I would stay well clear.

I recently got a pair of wheels built by them and after one short ride I found VERY loose spokes on both wheels, I took them to a well respected LBS to take a look and he was shocked that I had only been on one short ride with them and that any wheel builder would let them go out with spokes with such little tension, His first reaction was to ask if I had built them because of the amature build quality. The spokes where so loose that you could tighten them by hand. He sorted the rear for me but reckoned the front rim was faulty and I should send it back to CRC. So send it back I did, I got an email from them saying it will be a week before they will even look at it.

To say that I am disappointed is an understatement, not to mention the safety implications of having very loose spokes.

On further research into wheel building, I have since discovered (arguably) that a wheel that has been built correctly should stay true most of it’s life, certainly not just for one quick blast round Carron Valley.

Rim:- Spank / Sambrosa. Spokes:- DT swiss DB with Hope pro 2 hubs

martymcfly
    Free Member

CRC have a machine to build the wheels, the person operating the machine just takes the finished wheel out, a mate who works in CRC started in the wheel dept, he said he would never have his own wheels built there, i have had a wheel built there once whilst i waited and to be honest it was fine, it was a dh wheel too.

beamers

Pair of Kings on XC717s here. Running straight and true after 2 years of Meridas and 1 x TransRockies and other Rocky Mountain trips.

Pauly

Machine built wheels < Hand built wheels

Had a pair each from merlin (XT with DT Swiss 5.1) and CRC (XT with Mavic 717). Both have been of a good quality. I have found the Mavics (CRC) to be a bit more delicate. That could be down too my unskilled ploughing on xc rims. I’d use Merlin again before CRC as I support the little guy. I really only brought through CRC as I got an excellent discount at the time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘CRC Wheel builds……Any good?’ is closed to new replies.