Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • CRC Sale Eggbeaters
  • higthepig
    Free Member

CRC Eggbeaters

I know they are not everyones cup of tea, but seems a really good price seeing as the rebuild kit is £13.

I don't like Marmite but I like Eggbeaters!

ajantom

Good pedals – but stay away from the Eggbeater MXRs – they're only £2 cheaper than those at the moment, but a whole lot sh1tter. I bought a pair for use on the touring bike, and 2 rides later they had seized up (they can't be rebuilt like all the higher models – just loose bearings).

CRC & 2Pure were very nice and replaced/upgraded them with some 2010 Eggbeater Cs under warranty. Those are performing just fine so far.

richcc
    Free Member

I bought some more Candys from CRC as I wanted some cleats and it was only a couple of quid more to buy pedals and cleats.

emac65
    Free Member

I think this review says it all about eggs –
    " Great pedals, but ultimately they p!ss you off when they suddenly break on a trail. I used to carry a spare egg beater in my bag."

The last bit made me smile because I thought of doing the same when I used them……

Lionheart
    Free Member

Still have one of the first sets, still going strong!

ajantom

Never had one break – been using 3 different sets on various bikes (not including the new ones from CRC) for 5-6 years now.

Just check them every so often, and service if needed. Only had to do 2 bearing changes in that whole time.

I do agree that SPDs last for ever, but I'm willing to sacrifice a little longevity for extra float and brilliant mud clearing. My knees thank me 😉

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Crap-o-la… just bought myself some new cleats! 🙁

GregMay
    Free Member

Originals are still going strong with 2 rebuiilds for me.

The other two pairs i have bought in the last two years are fecked. Total and utted dog carp. Avoid the MXR's at all cost!!!

sc-xc

Cheers higthepig. I love eggbeaters. Love 'em.

Ordered a pair for my beautiful wife's new road bike which is coming in a couple of weeks. Happy, happy days.

Free Member

Rather than me buying a pair of candy pedals, does anyone fancy a swap for some eggbeater SL's? (drop me an email jonathan AT intelligent-technology.co.uk)

Ti29er
    Free Member

+1 this week for another pair of Candys.

Had an Eggbeater disintigrate at mile 27 at the Kielder 100 last year.
    And as for carrying a spare – DOH! One's L thread, and one's a R thread!

PS – ergo I have a spare L Eggbeater if anyone's interested!

Mackem

There's a lot of crank brothers stuff in the sale.

..and who spends 300 quid on a pair of pedals?

emac65
    Free Member

Originals are still going strong with 2 rebuiilds for me.

Bit like ,I've had the same broom for 20 years, it's has had 17 new heads and 14 new handles tho……

Driller
    Free Member

I don't know what all the complaints are with Eggbeaters, Candy etc are about. I've been using them well, for as long as I can remember, on all my bikes, I've never had a problem and the first set I bought are still going strong.

I don't really know how you can suddenly have a pedal completely fail out on the trail when it was 100% fine when you set out, surely you're going to know they are becoming loose/stiff/rough etc during your usual maintenance routine, well before you have a complete fail with them.

Maybe part of the issue is a lack of routine maintenance?

Having said all that I've probably completely jinxed myself now and will ride back home one-footed tomorrow.

Those CRC prices are great and I'm stocking up on Candys.

duckman

I must be lucky,my sl's are about 2000 miles old and still going fine,one rebuild.

argyle
    Free Member

are they not so cheap because they are oem?

njee20
    Free Member

..and who spends 300 quid on a pair of pedals?

Look on Weight Weenies, a lot of people.

I've got some Egg Beater Cs, and some of these, 200g pedals for not a lot of money!

mttm
    Free Member

Cleats with free pedals – marvellous deal! Just bought two pairs for the tandem, thanks for the heads up.

Maybe I'm another lucky one, but I've been hammering the Cr@p out of Eggbeaters since they first came out – I've replaced one bearing in all that time. I have actually worn out the "wings" on one pair (and another is about to meet that fate), but sudden trailside failures? Nope, not me. Oh, and my knee problem just ceased to be when I moved over from SPDs.

Haze

Lovely, the RH one on my commuter has been making a few strange noises lately so was thinking of new ones/rebuild kit.

I'll stick the new ones on and carry the old as spares 🙂

IdleJon

Driller – Member
    I don't know what all the complaints are with Eggbeaters, Candy etc are about. I've been using them well, for as long as I can remember, on all my bikes, I've never had a problem and the first set I bought are still going strong.

Well, you are lucky then, or maybe CB have sorted out the problems. Out of about 6 of us in a club who were using Eggbeaters of various sorts, we had about 7 pairs fail suddenly. All of us experienced cyclists, we all knew what loose bearings felt like. Mine came apart as I was crossing a main road junction. Luckily I wasn't doing anything extreme.

In general it was the l/h pedal body that came away from the axle.

I don't really know how you can suddenly have a pedal completely fail out on the trail when it was 100% fine when you set out, surely you're going to know they are becoming loose/stiff/rough etc during your usual maintenance routine, well before you have a complete fail with them.

Maybe part of the issue is a lack of routine maintenance?

Most of us had the pedals fall apart within about 6 months of buying the pedals – Shimano pedals wouldn't fall apart or need servicing within 6 months. Mine didn't feel rough or loose, etc, just came away and left me with an awkward ride home.

I've mentioned this plenty of times, but imo the pedals should have been recalled and sale stopped until the problem was sorted.

IF people are still having the same problem now, I find that very disturbing. Mine fell apart 4 -5 years ago. How many other companies would continue to sell a potentially lethally flawed product?

argyle
    Free Member

Out of about 6 of us in a club who were using Eggbeaters of various sorts, we had about 7 pairs fail suddenly

i don't get the maths on that one….

IdleJon

argyle – Member
    Out of about 6 of us in a club who were using Eggbeaters of various sorts, we had about 7 pairs fail suddenly

i don't get the maths on that one….

Some people own more than one bike you know? 🙄

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

those who like the float etc for your knees – just get Time's?

i'm about to retire the first set i bought 7 years ago – never needed to touch them

had a spell on egg beaters, had 3 pairs at one time, all of them were shit.

only issue with time is the slight weight penalty.

It's not just the bearings that fail…

To be fair, 2Pure's customer support is excellent, but then, customer support is no substitute for a selling a product that doesn't break in the first place.

Haze, if it's making a noise, the bearing will fail soon. Rebuild them now.

Helios
    Free Member

Haze, if it's making a noise, the bearing will fail soon. Rebuild them now.

Nah… I've got some 5 year old MXRs on my commute never been rebuilt (cos you can't) never been serviced, never been greased, making an awful racket scrape scrape grind grind… They've been like that for about a year now and are still working…

I readily accept that they will fall to bits at some point… but they haven't quite yet… so I don't buy into the mass generalisations everyone makes… Just because others failed doesn't mean mine will… same as just because mine are OK still doesn't mean others won't fall apart…

Maybe MXRs are different inside ?
    Regular eggbeaters rely on a tiny caged ball bearing to locate the pedal body on the shaft. It's not up to the job.
    When the bearing collapses it allows the pedal body to slide off the shaft.
    In my experience, there is a very short interval between the first signs of the bearing making a noise or feeling rough, and it actually failing.

I keep thinking I ought to put a washer, slightly smaller than the OD of the bearing, between the nut and the bearing.
    If the bearing fails it would act as a last resort to hold it all together.
    I haven't tried it yet though.

2pure
    Free Member

Hi Graham,

How are those new pedals getting on that we sorted you out with?

MXR's are discontinued and are not rebuildable but internally they use the same bush/bearing combo.

ran@2pure

PaulD
    Free Member

I bought a pair of the MXRs and 2 pairs of Smartys in the CRC sale.
    I opened the MXRs and found the bearings to be nearly dry.
    Now nicely filled with teflon grease and resealed.
    I had read that they have cup-and-cone outer bearings, not a cartridge and as such are not rebuildable. Ditto the Smarty.
    Inner bearings are polymer bushes, just as most DMR and Wellgo flatties.

I expect them to last for years, just as I have never had a Shimano SPD run a bearing or seize. I did have a Shimano axle shear with a pedal strike, but I cannot blame them for my riding mishaps.

I expect the Smartys to be similarly meanly filled, so will pre-empt the issue when they come into service.

But, at £20 and £15 respectively, with cleats, they seem a bargain!

Hi Ran, they're going OK so far thanks.
    I'm regreasing them far more often than the recommended 100 hours and I haven't used the rebuild kits you sent me yet.

I still say they've got design faults though.

There's a step in the diameter by the inner bush, where both of mine snapped.
    This causes a stress point (I'm a mechanic, not an engineer, so that's probably not the correct term). They would be far stronger, although slightly heavier, if there was a gradual taper.

The outer bearing is too small.
    When the cage breaks up, all the balls go to one side, allowing the outer race and pedal body to slide off over the inner race and spindle. This is the main problem. Not just that the bearing fails, but that it fails so quickly.It can go from feeling perfectly OK to falling apart within a couple of hours of riding.
    A full compliment bearing would be better. It would grind and scrape for a long time before it developed enough play to disassemble itself.
    My idea of a washer, or maybe a flanged nut would help too. As long as the OD of the washer is bigger than the ID of the outer race, then no matter how badly worn the bearing is, it can't escape over the washer. Again, it would grind and scrape and wobble, but it would do it for hours before it wore the washer away and eventually fell off.
    A tapered roller bearing would be even better. It would handle both thrust and axial loads better than a ball bearing and, if the OD of the inner race was bigger than the ID of the outer race, it would all still hold together if the bearing failed.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

I've just bought a pair and they have arrived today. Now I have changed my mind, as I mistakenly thought my Shimano cleats would fit.

Can't be arsed to fill out the form and send them back to CRC for a refund so does anybody want them for £18.00 posted?

It's these ones.

sc-xc

^ can't you just put the CB cleats on?

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Means I'll have to wear different shoes when I ride that bike.

Toooooooooooo complicated

M6TTF
    Free Member

I need some new pedals – the only thing that puts me off is the physical area of tye pedal, nothing under the foot at all – ithe time atac xe i've been using have been great but are nearly dead, but they're so much dearer than the CB's

do those who use them find the lack of platform an issue?

njee20
    Free Member

I don't, but I do use pretty stiff shoes: Spesh S-Works

I wear North Wave Lizzards which have got a very stiff sole.
    I wouldn't want to ride on egg beaters with soft soled shoes.
    I use the shoe shields as well to protect the soles.

M6TTF
    Free Member

How much float do they have? Can't seem to find the details anywhere

firestarter
    Free Member

ive run crank bros for years and only broke one. Hit it against a rock and snapped a wing. Ive used candy eggies mallets and the road ones ive eleven pairs in the household and all goin strong 🙂 might order some of these cheap ones for spare cleats and bits cheers

tinribz
    Free Member

I just got round to buying, parcel arrived, picked it up and was thinking they feel lighter than I remembered. Opened the parcel and there is just one?

I know they were cheap but are CRC crazy enough to sell single pedals? How did they know which side I wanted?

The invoice says Qty 1 – £20, but that can't be right can it?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46406

RRP £54.99 Save 64% – Each?

Ti29er
    Free Member

Go with the Candys as the Eggbeaters tend to fall apart unless you maintain a strict maintenence schedule.

higthepig
    Free Member

Go with the Candys as the Eggbeaters tend to fall apart unless you maintain a strict maintenence schedule

Don't agree, mine have been on for 3 years, with an occasional spray of oil and one squirt of grease. Which now means I have "Murray Walker'ed" myself and one will fall apart tomorrow, bugger………..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘CRC Sale Eggbeaters’ is closed to new replies.