Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • CRC Packaging…WTF!!!
  • skiprat
    Free Member

Do they only have stupid size boxes at CRC?

I bought a hope drive side spacer the other day that you could fit in a matchbox or for postal ease, a jiffy bag. So i get a postie card saying he couldn’t deliver as its to big for my letter box.

Pick up saturday morning to be given a shoe box sized box with just the end cap in. Stupid!! I know post is free with them and i have no problem with it taking a couple of days, but why go over the top on the box size??!!

wwaswas

It’s their automated packing machine innit.

Having said that a few recent smaller purchases have been in jiffy bags so not quite sure who/what decides it.

Kato

Skiprat, i’ve had that box with two olives in!

Crazy

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve received a headset spacer in an a5 box before and a rear mech in a folded up plastic bag, so frig knows how it works.

brant
    Free Member

My dad ordered a single cable end cap, and it came like this.

T666DOM

I can beat that Kato I had that box with 1 olive in!!!

unstableJ
    Free Member

…you guys must not use Amazon much, CRC have nothing on them for ridiculous boxes! 🙄

My Dad, who lives in France, ordered all his Christmas presents from them and sent them to us last year as they were coming to ours, our living room was like a sorting office!

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Since the postal rates changed earlier this year it will cost CRC the same to send that box as it does a thick padded Jiffy bag. Therefore it makes sense for CRC to only purchase and deal with one type of packaging. Economies of scale and all that 🙂

wwaswas

Wiggle aren’t immune;

benslow
    Free Member

Its the hassle when the postie can’t deliver it and you having to collect from the sorting office.

superfli
    Free Member

Its cheaper for them to buy bulk packaging boxes than lots of different sizes. Cheaper to buy and cheaper to pack.

It does seem silly at first glance though!

hora
    Free Member

Have you seen the new NEXT retailer ad? Where its highly automised? Its probably like that at CRC.

firestarter
    Free Member

Funny you mention this here is on box my brake caliper shims came in other day, saying that you should have seen the size of the box my mountain morph pump arrived in

unstableJ
    Free Member

…on the plus side the kids love making castles, buses, space ships out of them 😀

kayak23

My brakepad retaining spring came like this.

brant
    Free Member
    skiprat
    Free Member

I had a wheel box turn up with a pair of bars in and a pair of gloves.

I can see why they do it but you’d think they’d get another couple of smaller sizes.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I like that video.

Amazed to see my own order being packed. New Giro Xen on the way!

rocketman
    Free Member

Just to redress the balance I usually buy odds’n’sods from CRC once or twice a week and they have not sent an inappropriately sized parcel for some time.

Jiffy bags and those un-rippable plastic bags but no big boxes.

letmetalktomark

Rather ironically my Renthal chainring that could have done with some “box type protection” came in a jiffy bag that was torn 🙄

Dancake
    Free Member

looks like my headset spacer is on it’s way…

Northwind

Has been extensively discussed, this. Cardboard boxes are cheap, recycled, and recyclable. Limiting the number of sizes reduces overheads.

They may have put a bit of thought into this you know 😉

Gotta go, the posties are here with my o-ring!

pitduck
    Free Member

😆

pedalhead
    Free Member

Bah, I forgot to unclick the “Special Delivery” option for my new headset…

weonsnonge
    Free Member

Yay, new jockey wheels are on their way…

wwaswas

The spoke nipple counting and packing machine is manouvered into position;

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I ordered some new roadie tyres from fatbirds last week, they arrived in a wheel box! Surley they could have been folded up at least a little bit?

Wouldn’t be so bad if the box was sized so that it fit through a letterbox at it’s mininimum size (say VHS cassette sized) at least then small bits coudl get through.

Twin
    Free Member

moon-watching-night-100916-02 by kerystwin, on Flickr
    Powerlinks have been despatched..

MrAgreeable

Cardboard boxes are cheap, recycled, and recyclable.

Doesn’t the order of preference go “reduce, reuse, recycle”?

Perhaps they can recycle the time I’ve spent in the post office queue…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

CRC add another spoke nipple to their collection of spoke nipples

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6-rQ6Jay6w[/video]

PiknMix
    Free Member

brilliant thread 🙂

walleater

Replacement pedal pin coming into land!

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Who ordered the track bolts?

tomaso
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/23284279[/video]

faz083
    Free Member

ffs this has been discussed endless times. The bigger box actually saves on CO2 emissions – it’s not about the individual items, it’s the bigger picture. 20 of those boxes are much easier to stack and therefore more carbon efficient, than 20 random shaped objects.

Is it really such a big deal? Or would you rather they whack another £2 on everything and have it all hand packaged?

ojom
    Free Member

ffs this has been discussed endless times. The bigger box actually saves on CO2 emissions – it’s not about the individual items, it’s the bigger picture. 20 of those boxes are much easier to stack and therefore more carbon efficient, than 20 random shaped objects.

Is a van of empty air boxes carbon efficient being driven around. Or on a plane coming across the sea? Not being facetious. Just working out how that could be efficient.

footflaps

The bigger box actually saves on CO2 emissions

Compared with 20 jiffy bags?

Don’t believe a word of it. Their packing machine is cheaper to run than human packers, so I can believe it’s cheaper, but not better for the environment.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Plus you have to account for the additional CO2 emissions from people travelling to post office depots to collect stuff that could have got through the letterbox in a jiffy bag.

p7rich
    Free Member

LOLington LOLitty LOL LOL LOL!! 😀

MrAgreeable

Personally I’m very worried about the “peak Jiffy bag” scenario. If more mail order companies move towards comically oversized cardboard packaging, my current Jiffy stockpiles will only last another 2-3 years at most. Then I’ll actually have to start buying the wretched things.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘CRC Packaging…WTF!!!’ is closed to new replies.