Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • CRC packaging. WTF?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

There was a thread a while back about excessive packaging from CRC. Seems nowts changed. A washer in a box. Is this a record?

kimbers

i have emailed them to complain
    they never replied
    maybe we should all just send the packaging back to them?

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’ve had the same from Wiggle , they must run out of small boxes.

Tom83

I’ve had loads from crc recently, and it’s all been packed in a sensible fashion. Maybe there’s one picker who’s doing it?

CrumpledCartlidge
    Free Member

Yup, had the same with a single inner gear cable. Got quite annoyed from the fact that; a) I expected something more exciting from a large box and b) its such a friggin waste. At least it went in the recycling bin 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

Better in a box that lost in a cargo hold though eh. Incidentally, they seem to be quick again. Ordered thus evening. Knock knock sat morn.

bigjim

Is a big cardboard box better than a smaller plastic bag though? Discuss.

househusband

A cardboard box is 100% recycleable. A Jiffy bag isn’t.

But I do agree that the box is a tad on the large side!

jasterixstrange
    Free Member

I just had a t shirt delivered from CRC in a box that could have fit a full face helmet.
    The t shirt could have easily fit through the letter box in an envelope.

mmb
    Free Member

my last two purchases were a pair of cartridge wheel bearings and some handlebar tape, both came in boxes the same size as that pictured at the top of this thread!.

v10
    Free Member

Are CRC not recycling the boxes themselves? I get a few items a week direct from CRC due to work and the majority of them come packaged in boxes they’ve obviously previously received deliveries in. Surely this is more cost effective and better for the environment than using thousands of jiffy bags? Agreed thats pushing it for a washer but that box lying about cost them nothing, a brand new jiffy bag would cost them something!

Andituk
    Free Member

Allegedly its to stop posties sticking “sorry we missed you” cards through your door without bothering to try. Big boxes have to go on a van.

Not sure I believe it, but its an interesting theory, and it’d work..

timmys

Yeah I’m sure the reason was something along the lines of small items being processed differently to large items by royal mail and the process for large items was a lot more reliable/faster or some such bollocks.

ojom
    Free Member

Can you imagine all the diesel needed for all the vans carrying massively oversized boxes?

In the space you could normally carry 30 jiffy bags you get 1 box.

stevede
    Free Member

I had 2 tiny hope mini reservoir bolts turn up in that size of box – i thought they were taking the p155 sending my seatclamp in a similar sized box a few weeks back but at least that had value, i think the bolts were all of about £2’s worth!
    I ordered a high roller a few months back which came in a rather large box which had my wife steaming at the ears all afternoon until i came home from work and opened it to show her there was just a tyre inside! She thought i’d bought a frame or something similarly expensive.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I wondered why my new pair of gloves turned up in a box big enough to have contained 20 pairs-but I also noted that unlike other small CRC purchase that were jiffy bag packaged they did arrive as of old the next day as opposed to jiffy bag 3 to 4 day delivery.
    Surely the majority of us recycle the boxes selling stuff on?

Pieface

someone ordered 1 gear cable from CRC?

Maybe they sent it in a big box for a reason

speckledbob
    Free Member

I ordered a lower bearing for a head-set and it came in a similar sized box.

Northwind

It’s a clever box, it’ll build up big or flat. All recycled and all recyclable. Also easier to handle since they stack. Far better option than jiffy bags.

devon_roadie
    Free Member

I ordered a gear cable from CRC this week, don’t have a local bike shop.

Couple of days later had a card through my letterbox for a package that was too big! Picked it up and it was the gear cable from CRC, in a flipping box! They always used to use jiffy bags, even nice small ones. Not gonna do that again in a hurry

Hairychested
    Free Member

A box can be recycled, a plastic bag rarely ever. Grow up, walk to collect if they missed you, go for a ride not whinge.

firestarter
    Free Member

I got a rotor from them in an a4 envelope and it got bent by postie ramming it thru letter box I sent it back and complained about packaging , they said next one would be package right this was also in a plain envelope and got bent. I told them to stick it but they sent another this time in a box big enough to fit a kids bike in . Madness

julianwilson
    Free Member

I had one of those ‘clever’ boxes from crc with gloves in it: came with normal (letters, on foot) postie and fitted through our letterbox.
    If your mrs sells loads of random stuff on ebay then crc’s old jiffy bags were useful: we never throw one away basically, whereas for us the boxes are less useful. But if you get more in the post than you send, and then put your crc boxes in the recycling then I can see the logic.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Surely the majority of us recycle the boxes selling stuff on?

I always used to reuse the jiffy bags but those boxes are less useful – sheesh they are a nightmare to open let alone keep in one piece to use again. In fact I’ve run out of jiffy bags – what am I gonna post my ebay sales off in now? 🙄

chainslapp
    Free Member

I had a head set delivered in a box the same size as the OP from CRC in the last few weeks. When it arrived, I thought they had sent the wrong thing until I found the HS taped into the corner to stop it from exploding from the box.

RagTi
    Free Member

I agree, CRC getting knocked again for all the wrong reasons.
    They have pulled me out of the shite on numerous occasions, and stopped me from having to go and see the egotistical w@ankers at “my” LBS…..and more importantly saved me a small fortune over the years.

The packaging is, Ok….ridiculous on some occasions but all the packaging I have had from CRC has gone straight into my recycling bin, and yes most of them are delivered by the postie in a van.

Long live CRC !

Kev

jasterixstrange
    Free Member

That post thing makes sense but my local Pat is a complete tool and just sticks a card through the door and doesn’t even try. The cow who does the van with boxes is even more useless and appears to be refusing to take them off Postman Pat.

Credit to CRC though … I only buy from them now as their service is incredible!

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

least you got it, im waiting now close to 2 months for mine!

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering about the packaging too, I had a tiny pair of bottle cage bolts in a box like the one in the picture. It does seem better than the ‘pass the parcel’ style layers of bin bags and parcel tape that everything used to come in a year or so back.

jasterixstrange
    Free Member

i’ve just ordered a new handlebar … expecting it to be delivered in a box the size of a bike

Dancake
    Free Member

just got sent 2 tubeless valve stems in a box the same size as the OP’s

MrSalmon
    Free Member

This comes up in this Bikeradar article about CRC- basically they reckon boxes let them get it out quicker than jiffy bags, they’re recyclable, and easier to pack in the van. Also they have a special box-folding machine that only does 2 sizes.

MS
    Free Member

Makes sense to me, all be it a bit large for small items. I’m sure many folk would have just chucked a jiffy bag in the bin where as a box a lot more people would recycle. Also if it is in a bigger box, it saves the posty carrying it (only really applies to heavier items!).

I would hazard a guess that the boxes may be cheaper than a jiffy bag too, so from a CRC point of view, good business.

jasterixstrange
    Free Member

new handlebar still hasn’t turned up … reason why?
    CRC decided to send it via Parcel Force and supposedly when Parcel Force knocked on my door I rejected the item and it’s now on it’s way back to Belfast! Funny thing is … at the time they claim to have attempted delivery I was sat at home in the front room watching Granada Tonight … reckon the driver is asking for a kicking!!!
    Anyway … point is … item cost less than £100 and weighs nothing so why the hell have they used Parcel Farce (see what I did there?)?

wwaswas

item cost less than £100 and weighs nothing so why the hell have they used Parcel Farce

because the new boxes are too big to go with the standard letter post and be carried by hand (although, tbh, a handlebar will normally turn up in van anyway, however packed)?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘CRC packaging. WTF?’ is closed to new replies.