Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • CRC of Skiing?? Help, advice
  • mbydmt
    Free Member

As above really, and forum (other than snowheads) which would be useful on resorts, what to look for when buying kit etc.

As some background; I’m doing a season from November, and looking at buying boots (from a shop not online – want them fitted) and some kit for the season, only been skiing once before picked it up pretty quickly, a friend gave me a basic starter package of kit but need some gloves, another set or trousers etc.

Looking for advice on boots/kit as at the minute it all seems a bit alien!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, as you mention, Snowheads is ace. A bit like STW on snow. 🙂

Boots – Whereabouts are you? I know a fair few good fitters, and would be happy to try and steer you! Spend some SERIOUS money on your boots if you’re going to be in them every day. If you’re repping (Crystal? Neilson?) you might spend less time on the slopes, but still get a decent set. (Salomon Impact 102CS myself. Heat moulded shell and custom footbed, natch!)

I’d begin scouting around TKMaxx if you have time. There are some real bargains sometimes, but you need to just get lucky.

Beyond that, Snow and Rock would be a good tip to start looking, as they have a mahoooosive range of stuff. Not all of it is silly expensive Kjus type stuff, so well worth a look. Columbia trews are pretty good value for money. Oh, and whatever you do, don’t stint on gloves. Almost like boots, bad ones will plague your life! My other big tip on gloves, get some idiot strings on ’em! Nothing worse than dropping a glove off a lift and having to buy something silly expensive in the resort later!

Where are you off to, then? 🙂

mbydmt
    Free Member

I’m Cheltenham based, can get to Oxford/B’ham/Bristol/Gloucester fairly easily.

Got a choice between Crystal and flexiski, leaning towards flexiski (off to St. Anton! Only done a week in Val Thorens before (Easter just gone)).

I had accounted ~£200 for boots, there seem to be a fair few reduced on Snow & Rock at the minute and some bargains out there but obviously I want to get them fitted rather than posted out to me.

Haha will definitely ensure I have idiot strings, a friend lost one of his £70 gloves when we went in Easter and looked a little glum that afternoon after that! What gloves would you recommend personally? Budget wise I’ll be getting kit together over the next few months so it’s flexible, I’ve got a fair amount of cash to play with over that course of time thankfully!

cobrakai

Whats the budget for clothing?

Defo get boots fitted in a shop and let them know what skiing you will be doing and they will give you on the spot advice. There is a huge difference now between recreational, off piste touring, freestyle,racing etc. To future proof yourself, I would prob buy touring/back country boots as these work well on and off piste so no need for seperate kit. I telemark so dont have that issue.

As for skis, for the first month I would hire a variety and see what you like. I ride a pair of Rossignol B2’s which are good allrounders. Basic rules to skis;

The more stiff, the faster you go. (only good for on piste)
    The fatter they are, the easier the powder/off piste is. (harder handling on piste)

Just like any bike shop, the guys that work in ski shops are geeks who are more than happy to talk all day about the kit, and won’t put a hard sell on you or give you kit you dont need.

scaredypants

used to be a good bootfitter in leamington – lockwoods was the shop I think

mbydmt
    Free Member

Clothing, I’ve got Burton kit at the moment from a friend; boarding trousers, jacket, thermals, 3x socks etc.

I would get another jacket from work so what I’m looking to buy:

4x socks,
    Gloves,
    1x Trousers,
    Goggles,
    Possibly a lighter jacket for February onwards,
    Probably another set of thermals.

Budget for socks, gloves, trousers; £200 ish, give or take £50 maybe.
    What I’m struggling with at the moment is whether with trousers a £150 set is £100 better than a £50 set or whether it’s marketing hype.

I’m looking for the SLX level kit of the skiing world if that analogy makes sense!

Ski wise you’ve said exactly what I had intended to do, I was thinking I would buy ski’s January time (Birthday/Christmas money should mean I have £400 to play with or so).

Thanks very much so far, this is all new and all very helpful

andytherocketeer

the reduced price boots are probably last season’s, so may only be odd sizes left? new season boots must be arriving fairly soonish, I’d have thought, so probably best to make an appointment before the rush.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Boots – Given your location – Go here http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/

I haven’t used them (Have my own tame Northern Monkey to do my kit! 😉 ) but they come very, very much recommended.

I’m looking for the SLX level kit of the skiing world if that analogy makes sense!

Columbia, entry level TNF, or entry level Salomon would be my tip then.

mbydmt
    Free Member

Lockwoods looks like it may be worth a visit thanks Scaredypants! It seems like they are a little limited, I don’t mind if they’re older stock as, as I say I’m somewhat inexperienced. I just want something that will be comfortable, versatile and good for a seasons wear at least and will cater for a relative beginner, hopefully turning less novice throughout the season.

mbydmt
    Free Member

solutions4feet looks ideal! Thank you! I’ve had somewhat dodgy Achilles heals and inwardly rolling feet before so someone who understands feet would be ace.
    Advice is much appreciated at the moment, will start to scour the web for those brands!

andytherocketeer

edit: oh and +1 for solutions4feet 🙂 (got mine done there, so not biased in any way 😉 )

half price oakley goggles (and maybe other brands) at freezepro store in Edinburgh and online. (no affiliation with them, other than having just acquired a new pair of Oakley’s for sensible money)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.freezeproshop.com/?tag=qs&tagHdrId6000056=6000089&tagHdrId3000002=0&tagHdrId3000003=0

Bargainous!

But…..buy goggles AFTER your helmet, or at the same time. They need to fit together. (Smith Holt and Oakley Crowbars here!)

mbydmt
    Free Member

Awesome just having a look at freezepro now.

mbydmt
    Free Member

CFH that’s some very timely advice, sure I’d have got carried away and bought some goggles!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂 Don’t mention it!

I know far too much about kitting people out to go skiing, and as mentioned above –

the guys that work in ski shops are geeks who are more than happy to talk all day about the kit, and won’t put a hard sell on you or give you kit you dont need.

🙂 (Don’t work in the industry any more though…but I did!)

mbydmt
    Free Member

Sounds like some of the local ski shops might be better customer service than LBS then 😉

singletrackmind

+1 SFF . Got my custom footbeds made there . So good it meant not even noticing any footpain at all .
    Not cheap , but way more worth it than a bottle of shampoo ( unless it somes with ‘our’ Cheryl)

cobrakai

Not sure what the SLX is?!

TK Max is a great shout for skiing gear. It may be last seasons kit but only snobby **** will notice.

7 pairs of socks. (make sure they are at least up to the top of your shin and not hiking boot cut. Very uncomfortable in ski boots)

Peter storm thermals are cheap and good.

Goggles. Sinner do cheap mirrored goggles. They are good all rounders for bad/good light conditions.

Trousers. I’ve had the same pair of Westbeach trousers for 6 years and they were only 60 quid. Look them up.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/230765997780?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla

Dont scrimp on gloves or boots. They make such a difference on the hill. I find the more expensive the gloves, the better.

For a lighter jacket in the later part of the season get a soft shell. Still be good as an extra layer under your jacket.

Oh and on a personal note, if you buy a North Face sleavless puffa I will hunt you down. I’ve not met someone wearing one of those that hasnt been an erse!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not sure what the SLX is?!

Related to the equivalent level of SLX kit from Shimano. Good, but not bottom end.

TK Max is a great shout for skiing gear. It may be last seasons kit but only snobby **** will notice.

And a lot of it is utter gash like “No Fear” (I remember when they were good!) and the like. It’s “super cheap”, because it’s rubbish. If, however, you do luck upon some older stock from a real ski brand, then bingo! A friend got three full sets of Patagucci merino thermals for about £50 for example. Bargain.

mbydmt
    Free Member

SLX is inexpensive, mid-range, good quality kit which is perfect for the normal bloke who doesn’t have a bottomless wallet and is content with good functional stuff 😉

EDIT: CFH beat me to it!

Sounds like I need to start scouring TKMaxx in my lunch hour, although will have to go armed with a list of suitable brands etc. – I really just want to get out and ski in kit where I’m comfortable and it’s not holding me back, whether it’s this years or from a year or two ago is by-the-by to me at the minute.

Those Westbeach look spot on cost-wise and exactly what’ll do me nicely.

Everyone’s been massively helpful – thank you all, near enough all my questions answered in 20minutes!

Cobrakai – don’t worry I have no intention of buying a NF Gilet 😉

cobrakai

Ah, get the SLX now.

Yeh a lot is not worth the hanger its on, but you can luck out. I was meaning more for the socks and the thermals. Thats where I get mine.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

EDIT: CFH beat me to it!

Do at least try and keep up.

😉

I was meaning more for the socks and the thermals

I suppose so. But again, I would counsel caution. Bargainous gear from a “real” outdoor or ski brand is good. Cheap for the sake of it isn’t, especially with the extremities, such as socks and gloves. When it drops below the -20 area, and as a rep you don’t have the choice to stay in the bar and drink instead, cheapo ain’t a good idea! 😉

oliverd1981
    Free Member

TkMaxx get ski stuff in in late september – early october – there’s a lot of tosh, but things like gloves, base layers, socks etc. quickly add up at a proper ski shop. A couple of sets of £25 gloves has got to be a better idea than 1 pair of £70 ones for obvious reasons. A set winter bike gloves is a good backup/fit in a pocket for the walk back to the chalet from the pub

2 pairs of merino socks last a week, but I usually think a fresh set of trousers would be nice after about day 4…

a light breathable jacket is better than a heavier one – you can always chuck on another fleece or jumper. So nice having a light jacket if it gets sunny.

singletrackmind

TK maxx for Base layers too.

But about half a dozen of different styles. Try to get merino as it really does what it says on the tin.

Can be a life saver , or just make a very cold day more comfortable.

Buff headgear x 2 for same reasons

mbydmt
    Free Member

From what’s been said think something like the Salomon M Tactile CS Glove looks like a winner ~£50 online down from £70 at the minute and maybe a cheaper ‘backup pair’ just in case. Don’t think my riding gloves are up to it, far too many holes 🙄

mbydmt
    Free Member

Good shout about Buff’s hadn’t thought that far ahead, thermals are something again I don’t want to skimp on really, as you say, seems like a does what it says on the tin type scenario

cobrakai

Cobrakai – don’t worry I have no intention of buying a NF Gilet

Thank frick for that.

By the way, how do you quote someone else in your post? Am I being a muppet?

Each to their own on the thermal thing but I’ve not encountered any probs.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

By the way, how do you quote someone else in your post? Am I being a muppet?

Copy the text, then use the “Quote” buttons above this ‘ere box where you post your reply. Once to open the quotes, once to close at the end.

don’t worry I have no intention of buying a NF Gilet

Good. Buy a Rab one instead! 😉

cobrakai

Good. Buy a Rab one instead!

Like that? 😀

mbydmt
    Free Member

Good. Buy a Rab one instead!

Hah have far too many TNF/Rab loving mates who would ‘borrow’ it for the entire season for me to consider buying one, never mind Cobrakai’s personal vendetta 😉

cobrakai

I’m the furthest you will find from being a brand snob (apart from boots). Always found the mountain one of the most pretentious places going but its funny picking out all the Brits in the bar by the amount of TNF gear on display!

singletrackmind

Two items I would not be without is yellow lenses and a lid
    Can be advantageous if the weather closes in and the wind picks up. You will be able to see enough to get down the mountain , or into the nearest restaurant.
    I dont have interchangable lenses so carry 2 pairs of goggles. My Yellow are Uvex double glazed and do the job.

Dont get on with sunnies and my lid, pressure on my temples gives me a headache, so goggles all the way for me.

mefty
    Free Member

Gloves are worth spending money on, much better to have one pair of really good ones than a couple of cheaper pairs. I have had the same pair of leather palmed Hestras for 12 years, with only a bit of duct tape covering a cut from carrying skis needed to keep them going. So much better than cheaper gloves – I am sure there are other brands of equivalent quality.

peachos
    Free Member

not read the thread, but NATIVES is the site/forum for seasonaires.

http://www.natives.co.uk/

mbydmt
    Free Member

Just been doing some research, reckon I’ll up the boot budget to near enough £300 and make a trip to solutions4feet. If I’m going to be doing a season decent boots seem like a must and the perfect fit seems inevitable using S4F!
    Been using natives for a couple of months – how I got on to respective ski companies for seasons – will have another read. Boots are the first step, then each week will be getting gloves/trousers etc. then will put away some beer money just in case I manage to blow the monthly cash I’ll be getting paid.

Bunnyhop

Spend good money on socks.
    Also on gloves.

Many moons ago I wore C&A (I know, I know) and it was fine. however you can get away with wearing a lot of your mtbing gear.

Mmm, St Anton – are you sure for a first trip, it’s quite a serious skiers resort? Mind you if you’re fit and get yourself some decent tuition, it should be o.k.

mbydmt
    Free Member

St. Anton’s the resort which I have been told I can have out of 2 offers at the minute, waiting to hear what the other offer is.

I’m physically fit, 21 years old, so young, and would hope I’d keep picking it up as quickly as I did in my week in Val Thorens (3rd day was hitting up reds, by the end of the week I’d done one black just about and was comfortable on reds).

Any input/thoughts on St. Anton would be appreciated though, by no means am I a good skiier, I’m very up for spending as much time as I can scrape together skiing and would intend to get some lessons to help me advance more.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I find the more expensive the gloves, the better.

So do you buy all your gloves in resort then?

£20 gloves are probably 10 times better than a £5 gloves but after about £30 you very quickly into the law of diminisihing returns. They’re easy to lose, hard to wash and you’d want backups. My Gortex phoenix glove were £25 and they’re super tough. If you really feel the cold add a £5 pair of liner gloves – easy.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I didn’t find any of the runs in St. Anton too hairy – the reds and blues pretty much had the right sort of grades (which isn’t always the case) the runs back into town were busy and slushy at the end of the day, the runs into St Chistoph and in Stuben were easy to access and nice and quiet. The off piste looked phenomenal, but maybe that’s for 2014… Fantastic lift system. I’d definatelly go back.

(Snowboarders opinion)

Edit – Ski Lessons looked expensive – there’s only 1 school.

shifter
    Free Member

It’s. Too. Early.
    To talk about snow!
    Haven’t been on my summer hols yet 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘CRC of Skiing?? Help, advice’ is closed to new replies.