Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • CRC card fraud again???
  • mattthomas
    Free Member

Having been caught up in the 2011 CRC security issues resulting in me funding multiple top up card purchases I am pretty disappointed to have experienced card fraud immediately after the last 2 times I purchased something from CRC. It might be total coincidence or I may be getting singled out for special attention, I don’t know. Having emailed the CRC customer services I have had the same generic email sent back on both occasions.

This is not a criticism of CRC in any way just wondering if anyone else is having security issues?

timc
    Free Member

used CRC for years & luckily not been a victim yet

wwaswas

use paypal instead. don’t even need an account, just use your card as normal.

more likely to be something on your pc capturing details than CRC leaking I’d say or there’d be uproar on here…

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Paypal every time, for everything, not just CRC.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Download and run Malwarebytes before you do anything rash…it can’t hurt to be careful.

Assuming that it comes up negative, just process via Paypal. I got stung in 2011 and have been very careful about where I buy my stuff from since. If you sue PayPal it doesn’t even touch CRC’s servers so it’s pretty secure.

mike_p
    Free Member

Surely if you use a credit card your are potected against on-line fraud, as any fraudulent transactions are the CC provider’s problem, not yours? But if you use PayPal any fraud is very much your problem, irrespective of how you fund your PP account. I always use a CC for online purchases – PayPal are not on your side, ever.

Trimix
    Free Member

+1 mike p

oliwb
    Free Member

Note, in my experience with CRC and paypal is that your item seems to take twice as long to arrive! I was stung in 2011 too, as was the guy who sits next to me in the office…..just use CC now – although I have a feeling the consumer credit act only helps you if value of items is over £100 or something like that……

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

irrespective of how you fund your PP account.

CC through Paypal here, does this reduce the protection afforded by the CC company?

Conan257
    Free Member

Paypal here too, still gives me my 3% cashback through quidco 🙂

See no reason not to use Paypal if they offer it, never had any item take longer due to using that payment method.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Yeah why not rely on an unregulated company like Paypal which is not considered a financial institution in the UK, not a bank, not a credit card company and not regulated under the FSA? ;). At the very least if you use Paypal, use a credit card with them for some protection.

If you pay via credit card direct with CRC it goes via the card company payment processing system, just like most web sites these days. No details stored with CRC and they don’t have access to them. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Information.aspx?TranslationLargeID=6#wheels

PayPal credit card payment without logging in is much the same but potentially with less protection (or at least if you needed to claim it would involve the card company attempting to claim against PayPal). If you log in and use PayPal funds or the default funding via bank debit, then you have very little protection at all.

mattthomas
    Free Member

Right must be just me then, just seems a bit odd it only happens with CRC. I always get the money back just a little frustrating cancelling your bank cards on a Friday, especially twice in 2 months!

jota180
    Free Member

At the very least if you use Paypal, use a credit card with them for some protection.

IIRC – section 73 [or whatever it’s called] doesn’t cover you when using the likes of Paypal if the sale goes wrong, probably OK for fraud issues though.
    I’d rather use the CC direct any time.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘CRC card fraud again???’ is closed to new replies.