Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • crazy bird content – how to get rid?
  • sadexpunk

sorry to disappoint, its the feathered variety 🙂

obviously leaving myself open to a load of pics of shotguns, cats, catapults etc, but we’re having problems with a loopy blackbird. for the last week or so its been camped on wifes car, banging against the window and sh1tting all over it. its now doing it to the house, scratching the windows and leaving big dollops of sh1te all over the window sills and her car.

googled it and it appears its either trying to fight its reflection or ‘another bird’. theres various suggestions for cars such as putting socks over wing mirrors etc, we can try that but the main problems the house, its just going loopy at the kitchen window all the time, its all day long each day.
    thought it might help if we closed blinds so it doesnt think its clear air and an enemy, but thats not stopping it.

anyone else had this and if so how did you stop it?

*cough* serious solutions only please 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Light and tender spooning.

cranberry
    Free Member

Shag her sister.

singletrackmind

Call her by her sisters name at an inopportune moment?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Make a new plan, Stan

woody2000

Breeding season innit, Mr blackbird seeing off his rivals. Get a hawk, that’ll sort it out 🙂

scruff9252

Got plenty of unwelcome neighbourhood cats here. I’ll send a box of them down to you for the cost of postage…?

singletrackmind

Underneath a concrete shed base ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Does it sing in the dead of night?….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Get a hawk, that’ll sort it out

Overkill. But I like your thinking.

vickypea
    Free Member

Dress up as a giant rival blackbird and tweet loudly. That’ll see him off.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Tell it to flock off?

theotherjonv

racist. What does its colour have to do with this story?

Cutout silhouette of a kestrel on the window. If it’s daft enough to fight its own reflection it might be good enough.

Although Vickypea’s suggestion is the real best one.

sadexpunk

hmmmm…….. not one serious reply 🙁

iz dissapoynt.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Serious suggestion then……. a powerful water pistol. A Super Soaker or similar.

That’s what we use when we are in our flat in Cornwall to keep the Gulls away from the balcony.

Does no damage to the bird but discourages it from hanging about.

jekkyl

Just kill it?

Edit: turns out it’s illegal, who knew!

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/b/blackbird/thelaw.aspx

Who’s to know though?

sadexpunk

Who’s to know though?

nope, i not killing any ickle burdees, no matter how annoying they are….

thought about the water pistol idea, but anytime we go outside or open a door it flies off.

vickypea
    Free Member

I might try the water pistol idea for the gulls when we go on holiday to Staithes in June. Last time they were a-squawking from 4 am outside our window.

CountZero

racist. What does its colour have to do with this story?

Is that a trick question? 🙄
    I hope so, ‘cos I can’t honestly believe anyone could ask that with a straight face!
    And yes, it’s now that birds will be nesting, although a family of Ravens I know of already have well-grown chicks, and male blackbirds will be very territorial, and see their reflection as an interloper to be driven off.
    They’re not as bad as robins, though; they fight to the death.

Drac

Post pictures of her boobies on the internet.

StirlingCrispin

We had this problem many, many years ago with a robin.

RSPB suggested putting up a plastic sheet so the bird couldn’t see its reflection.

That and a cat.

Drac

Is that a trick question?
    I hope so, ‘cos I can’t honestly believe anyone could ask that with a straight face!

JoeG
    Free Member

Nuke it from orbit, its the only way to be sure.

funkmasterp

Could you rig up some scarers? Use old cd’s, just be sure to delete any copies you’ve made first though or you’ll be in trouble with STW neighbourhood watch.

Either that or get yourself a Pertwee.

breadcrumb

Had a Wagtail that kept on flying into the bait room window at work. I drew a picture of a cat and stuck it in the window- no more headbanging Wagtail.

theotherjonv

I did make a serious suggestion, among my liberal handwringing. Which was a joke for avoidance of doubt (or is it a meme, to call racist at any point black is mentioned?)

Cutout a silhouette of a hawk and stick it to the window. The bird’s obviously ‘educationally subnormal’ (i was going to say a bit of a pillock but that would risk another bout of ire) so it might well fool it.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘crazy bird content – how to get rid?’ is closed to new replies.