Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Crazy bike price inflation!
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Posted something similar on BR a week ago but interested to hear your thoughts.

Not read an MTB mag for a while – they get a bit samey.

But just picked up a WMB and had a quick nose through the tests – was rather shocked at how poorly specced the £900-£1300 hardtails are!

Almost all have only Deore chainsets and finishing kit!

My £1200 (in 2007) Stumpy came with Stylo/X-9/X-7 and Juicy 5s. It's now much worse specced and costs £1499!! The £1200 contender is only the Rockhopper SL now (used to be under a grand)!

I must have had been out of the loop for a while but rather amazed. At the same time components seem to be very cheap – just upgraded my brakes and drivetrain – everything was extremely good value ands the bike now outspecs stuff costing £3000+ for well under £2k in total.

Anyone else noticed this crazy price rising?!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

weak sterling innit.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

But why are parts so cheap? I reckon you can massively outspec a ready built bike at the moment using some sensible parts purchasing. Merlin in particular have some crazy low prices – £130 for my XT chainset (2010) and under £50 for my SRAM 990 cassette. They also do Elixir CRs for under £200! I got mine elsewhere but paid about the same.

ampthill

Yes

But I see no evidence that I could build a bike for less buying all the components new. i tried a few spread sheets on this…..

Merlin and On-one builds are amazing value

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

amp – indeed they are good but right now, I'd rather keep upgrading my bike (and the frame once it dies) and end up with a really good machine rather than splashing out big money for a low spec machine.

Merlin builds are great and Boardman specs are amazing but I just don't feel they are the best frames available. Of course I do rather like the look of Merlins Ti frame…!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Crazy bike price inflation!’ is closed to new replies.