Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Craziest thing you have seen on a motorway?
  • iain1775
    Free Member

A lorry cab being towed by another lorry, but the one being towed was facing backwards so as you aproached it looked like a lorry travelling at 40mph in reverse

legend
    Free Member

A car coming straight towards me when I was in the fast lane overtaking someone was a bit of an eye-opener 😯

stucol
    Free Member

On one of the narrow valley sections of the M74, despite my flooring it, i had to admit defeat and let the two Tornado GR4’s overtake me !

Doubt they were more than 200ft up. Totally made my day.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grahamh
    Free Member

Car with roof rack stacked with beer, the boot filled with beer, lid held down with bungie cords. All three pasengers crates of beer upto their chins. The suspension was a bit low..

2hottie
    Free Member

M61 meeting the M60, I was in the outside lane just going past a car in the middle lane, ass hat in an old Micra bombed up behind me so I backed off and made a start to go into the middle lane, (he was that close I couldn’t see any of his lights in the rear view mirror) he then under took me going mental whilst pulling in to the 3 car length gap between me and the car in the middle lane whilst turning his entire body round to give me a mouthful, he got it all wrong and spun in front of me and hit the celica in the slower lane pushing it under the armco and then in to a lamp post, amazingly they both walked away from it but it’s safe to say the guy in the micra will certainly not have his licence for much longer. Driving through the shower of debris was an eye opener!!!!

cotic853
    Free Member

I overtook the landspeed record holding ThrustSSC on the M3 – it was on a lorry though

maccruiskeen

On one of the narrow valley sections of the M74, despite my flooring it, i had to admit defeat and let the two Tornado GR4’s overtake me !

Doubt they were more than 200ft up. Totally made my day.

On the M6 through the lakes theres a section with a valley to one side where tornados would sometimes pass alongside you

dontgetoutenough
    Free Member

South Africa years ago, driving a motorbike on motorway at rush hour, hemmed in the middle lane with
    cars pretty close everybody hamering it.
    A taxi in front of me (crammed Toyota hi ace) the spare wheel carrier collapsed in front of me sparking madly on the road, the tyre was bouncing between the car and road still in its cage.

I quickly got out of the way, still dont know if there was an accident caused by it, the driver was oblivious to My horn and hand waving

stavromuller
    Free Member

Seen and done some pretty scary things on motorways in my time but the biscuit has to go to the guy I once saw in a sierra full of workmates using the on and off ramps to undertake moving traffic, the way he was doing it made it looked like it was from habit too

nickdavies

Seen plenty in my time as I do about 30K miles a year, but the worst has got to be in China, during a run to the airport on the motorway there was one guy reversing up the motorway to get back to a missed junction, and an old truck stacked with hay, broken down in the outside lane with a pair of legs sticking out from under it as the driver worked on it. Bizzare!

althepal

Rush hour traffic on the m8. Going slow into town just after Townhead.. Car 3 in front pulls onto merging lane on right. Puts hazards on and a back seat passenger gets out and jumps into the gap between barriers on the central reservation.. Think he was gonna attempt to cross to the other side to get to the sighthill flats!!
    Got control to radio the cops, must have been a car nearby. About a minute later saw them stopping eastbound traffic and pulling in to get him. Saw a lot of finger waving going on in the rear view mirror..

nick1962
    Free Member

Kenya’s cycle team at the Manchester Commonwealth games 2002 on a training ride down the M61 😯

r3guy
    Free Member

left a services area behind an estate with camping gear and a dog in the back, nothing unusual about that right?

Gathrered speed, doing 80 ish, suddenly the back of the estate opens up, dogs eyes get very wide !!

Quickly alerted the driver

spooky_b329

A27 Shoreham Flyover a couple of weeks ago…dawn and raining, silver Polo overtakes me. As he gets level, driver picks up turquoise plate and balances it on the wheel, and starts to eat the first of two slices of buttered toast. This is an elevated section with slip roads, and a red light cross roads 500m further on that always results in panic braking.

crispo
    Free Member

Kenya’s cycle team at the Manchester Commonwealth games 2002 on a training ride down the M61

Ive heard a similar story at work. Apparently they were looking for a nice road to practice on, they found a big loop which looked spot on and low and behold it was the M60!

Also when ive been out at work ive seen far too many people with hazards on in the hard shoulder reversing back along to get the correct junction. Its scary how many people actually do it!

turboferret

Here in India crazy is taken to another level, well certainly frequency at any rate!

I would estimate that around 5% of traffic on any motorway would be going the wrong way, and not a journey of over an hour passes without seeing a lorry which has left the road leaving some devastation in its path 😯

5 on a motorbike is pretty much the norm too.

Cheers, Rich

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

This takes some beating
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmwlCXKafkw[/video]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And another – WTF?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95ZGC4xaY14&feature=related[/video]

MrTall
    Free Member

On one early morning motorway jaunt i came across an HGV where the driver had obviously nodded off at the wheel. Unluckily for him (but luckily for those on the other carriageway) when his rig swerved across the road he hit the only solid concrete bridge for miles and came to a rather abrupt stop. I always remember seeing the mess it left as i drove past, it looked like somebody had thrown a bucket of blood all over his windscreen. Certainly woke me up. Not nice.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A person driving the wrong way down a slip road on to a motorway.

On 2 separate occassions people reversing back down slip roads on to the motorway.

A lorry hanging over the edge of bridge on to the M1 below.

Through a section of road works with a temporary barrier between myself and on coming traffic a van some how ended up coming towards me through the barrier. It all happened very quickly, bits of the van hit my car (but no damage) dont know what carnage happened behind him.

Air Ambulance landing in front of me (ok M62 was shut)

People not wanting to que so they have used the hard shoulder.

A bird hitting a van in front of me, on impact feathers went every where then the bird did a few somersaults before hitting a car on the opposite carriage way. Was very dead by that point.

A lorry on fire down an embankment.

One of those big motorway trucks with the big arrow on the back and big crumple zones. Well saw one with all its side completely crushed in where a lorry had crashed in to it.

…. I drive on the M62/M1 every day!

hora
    Free Member

If your ever passed by someone on the phone or undertaking/bad driving and you see them crashed further down- call the Police and offer to be a witness. Everytime I’ve seen someone using their phone rather than remonstrate with them I’ve thought ‘if you crash or cause a crash I’ll pull over and offer myself as a witness’.

On the M60 I drove passed two cars parked on the hardshoulder with two blokes punches each other out and oblivious to the fact they were on the line with lane 3. When I saw that I vowed NEVER to get angry or lose it on the motorway. EVER.

theflatboy
    Free Member

a few weeks ago i was driving up the m40, pulled out and passing a freelander. as i got alongside a pretty girl in the back seat nearest me got my attention, then she and the other two pretty girls in the back all flashed their fairly sizable boobs at me. it was quite distracting.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“When I saw that I vowed NEVER to get angry or lose it on the motorway. EVER.”

What about if some one looses it with you for having your fog lights on when you dont need them 😈

hora
    Free Member

theflatboy, I was driving over Saddleworth/M62 and as I drove towards the rear of a clio I could see the lad had his left arm around the passenger seat. Wierd I thought- pulled level and noticed a girls head bobbing away – I swerved abit and thought don’t bother being a perv and carry on…the bloke turned and gave me a grin. The bloody bastid!

theflatboy
    Free Member

haha, as if driving over the highest bit of motorway in the country wasn’t exciting enough in itself!

crispo
    Free Member

haha, as if driving over the highest bit of motorway in the country wasn’t exciting enough in itself!

Oh dear, I think you need to get out more! haha! 😆

hora
    Free Member

crispo ❓ we have day trips there 8)

cudubh

Couple of years back driving over Shap (so M6?) heading to London with two sculling (rowing) boats on the roof. High wind rips the roof rack off taking some roof with it. I get to watch in the rear view mirror as my precious boat somersaults still attached to the roof rack while a Porsche passes underneath it. The whole thing landed on the central reservation intact with only about a foot sticking out onto the hard shoulder. All in perfect condition until somebody clips it driving past and takes the stern off my boat. Scary for me to watch but the guy in the Porsce must have crapped himself. Took it all as a sign me and the wife weren’t supposed to race Tideway in singles.

neninja
    Free Member

Maddest and scariest was watching a 44 tonne lorry jack knife in my rear view mirror on the M1 when the traffic suddenly slowed right down in pouring rain.

Fortunately the traffic didn’t stop completely as I genuinely thought it was going to flatten us all.

rewski
    Free Member

Traffic cones actually being used for roadworks.

StuF

Galvanised bucket bouncing down the carriage way just in front of us and then a very worried lady in an mx5 which flattened the bucket.

A wheelbarrow upside on the A50, luckily late at night and people we just going round it.

hora
    Free Member

Yes I’ve seen ALOT of motorist (read 99%) sail passed me in torrential rain down Shap southwards.

Absolutely bonkers.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Lucky the Porsche driver didnt report you to the Police as you were actually breaking the law. Driving with an incorrectly secured load is an offence.

10pmix
    Free Member

saw some traffic doing more than 30mph on the M25 once…or I may have imagined it.

D0NK

Lucky the Porsche driver didnt report you to the Police as you were actually breaking the law. Driving with an incorrectly secured load is an offence.

to be fair it sounds like the load was secure, just not the roof
    😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

A dead stag with full size antlers.
    Suddenly appeared under the car in front of me. Decided straddling it (in a Fiesta) was the only option at 70mph. Bumped in the air, but the only damage was a torn heat-shield off my exhaust.

julianwilson
    Free Member

A christmas tree in the fast lane,presumably jettisoned from the pedestrian footbridge overhead.
    When I rang it in to the police, the operator lady was as suprised as I was, it being June at the time.

hora
    Free Member

ir_bandito – was that a trouser-filling moment? :0

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yup.
    happily cruising down the A1 at 70, everyone keeping distance etc. suddenly the cars in front of me all have their brake lights on, next thing I see is a frikkin’ huge stag emerging from under the car in front, antlers and all. It must have been hit by a lorry i guess.
    Luckily, since everyone was keeping their distance, I had time to line myself up to straddle it – if I’d tried to drive over it I’d have crashed/flipped/got hurt.

there was a long line of cars on the hard shoulder, everyone phoning the police and trying to sort their sphincters out…

Other scary thing I’ve seen is a double mattress in the middle lane on the M1. The first time I’d driven on a motorway. Again, luckily there was space to swereve past it without hitting anything. that time I think I did actually shat myself…

-m-
    Free Member

in China, during a run to the airport on the motorway there was one guy reversing up the motorway to get back to a missed junction

That’s fairly tame for China – still seems alarmingly common to find people driving (forwards) the wrong way up highways/motorways. That’s not to mention the small motorbikes and load carrying trikes that appear out of nowhere at night driving into oncoming traffic with no lights…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Craziest thing you have seen on a motorway?’ is closed to new replies.