Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Crawley for 3 days. Road or Mountain Bike?
  • monksie
    Free Member

And suggestions for evening routes if you’d be so kind? I’ll be working in the day so I can’t go too far.
    South Downs are about 25 miles away, I see but I’ll not have a car so probably not that[/I] doable for an evening mountain bike ride, unless there’s an off road route to them?
    No GPS either, sadly.

mikey74
    Free Member

Road. No mountain biking to be seen around here.

You used to be able to ride in Tilgate Forest, but it’s been trashed by logging.

zippykona

Train to redhill. Plenty of off-road there.
    At least coming from Crawley redhill will look nice!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

It’s nice around Ashdown Forest for road riding (local conservators have firmly banned MTB), and there is a disused railway line (Forest Way) which can get you there if you have some kind of CX.

If it’s dry the Forest Way would doable on a road bike and 25mm tyres, but there’s been quite a bif of rain recently.

Straightliner

Road. I’ts not far to head over towards Charlwood, Leigh nd then Dorking for either the Surrey Hills or up to Box Hill.

Don’t rely on the trains to get anywhere at the moment, Southern have a number of issues resulting in trains being cancelled all over the place.

slimjim78
    Free Member

You used to be able to ride in Tilgate Forest, but it’s been trashed by logging.

When did this happen? We used to head from the office in Crawley out to Tilgate Forest, but that was last year mainly.
    Is the whole Forest now unrideable?

To the OP: It quite a nice ride on road, down to the South Downs – Devil’s Dyke/Dichling Beacon for example are almost due south.

mikey74
    Free Member

When did this happen? We used to head from the office in Crawley out to Tilgate Forest, but that was last year mainly.
    Is the whole Forest now unrideable?

It was last year, sometime. When I last went there, it was pretty much unrideable; certainly where the old DH trails used to be.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Crawley for 3 days. Road or Mountain Bike?’ is closed to new replies.