Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Craving sugar after a ride
  • cheers_drive

I always crave sugary food and drinks after a ride, however well I fuel up before and during.
    After 2 weeks of no alcohol and no sugary snacks, today I did my longest ride for a whole (only 45 miles, I’ve not ridden so much of late). Now I feel like eating everything in the house that contains sugar.

jonnyboi

How long did the 45 miles take and how did you fuel during it?

I get the same cravings but get round it my planning my post ride nutrition in advance. I always start with a pint of milk!

hodgynd
    Free Member

Apparently if you eat immediately after the ride your body will burn those calories straight away ..I always have a 2lb bar of Galaxy to hand! 😆

salad_dodger

Try a carb free diet and after 48 hours your sugar cravings disappear. As does a shed load of weight if my scales are anything to go by. 74kg on New Years day and now 69.7kg. Could murder a chocolate hob nob though…

andy4d

Post ride I usually scoff a tin of mackerel or a a bit of scrambled egg to help refuel and stop my cravings. If i don’t then the munchies start to creep in.

wallop

I always start with a pint of milk!

Which has probably got about 25g of sugar in it! 😆

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

I use isostar powder and mix it as advised. (Still expensive so – also when bought as “powder”.) Drink the stuff while biking.
    For me the isostar stuff is like “fuel” – and keeps muscle pain away plus I feel much better after the ride.

Sad so: I don’t buy chocolate any more. No chocolate in the house…

Otherwise I would eat 200 grams or so after biking…- but have the feeling that the isostar helps avoiding this chocolate thing as well.
    😉

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I used to wake up and the first thing I would want would be a bowl of sugar covered cereal. A couple of weeks of eggs on toast and I don’t want sugary cereal at all.

The sugar you are having, is it refined or more complex. There’s a difference between a pint of lucozade when you finish and a pint of milk.

I’d persist but look at what you eat during a ride and also whether you’re just simply dehydrated

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Try a coffee and a fag.

cheers_drive

Most breakfast are egg based, sometime granola, today porridge with maple syrup. My meals are generally good but have a weakness for sugary snacks, this year I’ve cut out the snacks apart from a homemade cake a few days. Had a macadamia, date and coconut pressed bar during giving ride which took nearly 3hrs with no stop

downhillfast
    Free Member

In think you need to eat more, and more often.
    Everyone is different.

Today I did 30 miles on the single speed, took a banana with me. I was woefully under fuelled.
    Got back and was verging on “sugar rage” needed choccy biscuits and sweet coffee to sort me out.

It’s also the amount of time you’re out exercising, not just the distance.

cheers_drive

Perhaps, I never have been one for eating much on a ride. Just can’t stomach it unless it’s gels or energy bar. If I stop for a break I’ll have a sausage roll or toasty

kennyp
    Free Member

I’ve found that after a hard bike ride or hillwalk, I’m craving a can of Coke. Not sure why that product (and yes, I know just how bad the stuff is for you), but I just do.

Started happening about four or five years ago. The really scary thing is I’ve started craving it more than a post-ride/walk beer!!

brooess
    Free Member

My non-scientific view would be that after an exertion like that, replenishing sugar levels would be a necessity rather than something to avoid, surely? Hence the classic recovery drink being a chocolate milkshake – protein, carbohydrate and sugars…

When I get back from a ride I make a pint of chocolate milkshake – semi-skimmed milk in the blender with a couple of rounded spoons of Cadbury’s Hot Chocolate. It’s pretty effective at stopping any sugar cravings taking hold.

Alternatively a tin of rice pudding if I’ve been on a particularly effortful trip.

thecaptain
    Free Member

mmmmmm jam doughnuts

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

I’m craving a can of Coke.

remember this as well…

But sadly: my taste changed or the recipe for Coke. Don’t like the stuff any more.
    😥

Marin
    Free Member

Lemon drizzle cake after my ride on Saturday hmmmm.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

shit.

Now I need a

Lemon drizzle cake

This forum is dangerous!
    😯

shermer75
    Free Member

Give up eating sugar and after a while you stop craving it. See also: cigarettes

legend
    Free Member

The pro peloton all smash cans of coke/whatevs after a stage. If it’s good enough for them it’s good enough for me!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Craving sugar after a ride’ is closed to new replies.