Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Crashed Nomad and Trek Top Fuel 9.8 into car park height barrier
  • swank
    Free Member

3 of us totally forgot about the bikes on the roof when turning into a carpark to turn around and crunch.

I had my Nomad and 2 month old Trek Top Fuel 9.8 carbon on the roof.

Nomad is fine but the trek’s frame got smashed by the waterbottle holder when it tore out of the bike Thule bike holder.

roof bars are bent and the bike holders are broken. car a couple of little scratches.

a stupid and costly mistake.

got fully comp car insurance, doubt that will pay up and no house insurance.

Trek are looking at doing a deal on a replacement main frame.

Any good ideas?

enfht
    Free Member

3 of us totally forgot about the bikes on the roof when turning into a carpark

I’ve got an idea, let one person drive instead of three?

swank
    Free Member

one for each pedal

BlingBling
    Free Member

Any good ideas?

Look where you’re going?

muggomagic

Doh…..

Nearly did the same with my brand new remedy. Put it on the roof to leave evans, and had it not been for a guy in a van driving past and telling me to watch out for the height barrier I probably would’ve done the same.

As for good ideas, have you not got the bikes insured? if you have you would be able to claim for accidental damage.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Bikes inside car, people on roof?

midlifecrashes

Ouch. Check your car roof and pillars are still OK too. Everybody makes mistakes. I once dented the car roof badly by dropping the bike on it when unloading.

roundwheels
    Free Member

haha :lol:you won’t do that again

theflatboy
    Free Member

harsh one. i’m paranoid about doing this, so easy to forget 🙁

grumm
    Free Member

Don’t use a roof-mounted rack, don’t buy a carbon bike?

Any kind of external bike racks scare the shit out of me, which is why I’m buying a van.

theflatboy
    Free Member

is it too churlish to ask for pictures?

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

You beat me to it theflatboy….

5lab

get a bigger car and put yer bikes in that?

got 5 bikes + 5 people inside a mondeo estate over the weekend. job done

GaryLake
    Free Member

I was going to say, pics or it didn’t happen!

ourmaninthenorth

Any good ideas?

Give up trail centres and ride from your front door.

Oh, and don’t tell your colleagues in the IT dept what you did to your new Audi…. 😉

swank
    Free Member

will take some pics tonight. left one of the roof rails in the car park as no point taking it home.

do not see the point in putting bikes in the boot as pain in the arse dismantling them, gets the car muddy. roof works fine, will just have to remember the bikes are on there next time.

5 bikes and 5 people in a mondeo estate?? im presuming children and their bikes?

MrSmith
    Free Member

2.5k plus bikes and they aren’t insured?!
    maybe buy a slightly cheaper bike and you will have enough left over to insure them?

IA

4 + 4 in a mondeo hatch works fine, so I can easily believe 5+5 in an estate.

Ditto the insurance.

Also – inconvenience of taking some (quick release) wheels off vs. inconvenience of writing off a few k worth of bikes & roof rack?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

got fully comp car insurance, doubt that will pay up and no house insurance.

Have you checked if ONE of the three have house insurance to cover it. Is it possibly cheaper to pay his increased premiums in exchange for claiming off his insurance? If you have its original recipt is it possible?

Stoner
    Free Member

Once a friend had done the same, from then on he hung a card on a lanyard from his rear view mirror when he has bikes on the roof.

skiprat
    Free Member

“5 bikes and 5 people in a mondeo estate?? im presuming children and their bikes?”

Got 2 full sus, all kit and camping stuff in a Ford Ka (when van was in for service)

Just take the wheels out next time and pack them in the car!!

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

left one of the roof rails in the car park as no point taking it home

Here’s hoping that was in a bin / skip 😉

alpin
    Free Member

post-it note in the centre of steering wheel or on the display somewhere.

pedalhead
    Free Member

A mate of mine did this driving into the work multi-story, just outside the office, for all to see. Wrote off his brand new hardtail & £2k damage to his Audi. How we laughed 🙂

Edit…sorry to hear about yours though!

freeandsingle
    Free Member

Two bikes, two 6foot plus guys and full weekends camping kit in a 796cc Daewoo Matiz from Sheffield. The welsh hills were..interesting..

vd

And 3 times? 😳

I managed to do this three times – twice within 3 months in the same car park.

I then decided if I was stupid enough to do it 3 times, there was no guarantee there wouldn’t be a 4th, got an estate to put the bike in…..and crashed that, writing it off.

Presently have a tow bar rack…..and am counting the days until I back that into something I shouldn’t.

Wrecked the rails, spoiler, etc but the bikes had only scratches btw

vd

Too embarrassed to claim the 3rd time!

julianwilson
    Free Member

i like it that the nomad survived but the bike-holder and rack didn’t. Well-ard!

Ambrose

Did the same driving out of the ferry last July. Mrs Ambrose didn’t laugh.

It worked out cheaper to get the repairs (roof was badly dented and gouged, no tears, roof rail snapped) than it was to claim- due to the increased premiums.

Friendly local bodyshop did the work, half the price one of the more well known places was going to charge.

theflatboy
    Free Member

are we going to see some pics then?

swank
    Free Member

£900 to insure the bikes up to £5k, when i have £10k of bikes : nomad, trek and wilier road bike. Not worth it.

£500 to get a new main frame from Trek. could be worse.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Crashed Nomad and Trek Top Fuel 9.8 into car park height barrier’ is closed to new replies.