Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Crash recovery?
  • chalkstorm
    Free Member

Hiya all

Mate of mine had a fall just over a week ago…. landed hard on his head and shoulder…. at this exact spot… doing almost the same thing as this poor fella..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3297/3263482868_3f2e956cbd_b.jpg

So, after a trip in an ambulance (he was very confused after the fall) and some x-rays, nothing was broken – and he went on holiday for a week. Spoke to him yesterday – and he says recovery really isn't going well – his shoulder is still very swollen, he has a lot of neck pain – and pins and needles down the 'other' arm (the one he didn't land on). He is a fit kind of bloke – and does 'weights' – and says he has no power in his 'other' arm – struggling to lift a quarter of what he could.

I know he is off in search of proper expert diagnosis now he is back in the UK – but I wondered if any of the STW collective might have a view on the type of injury he may have sustained (nerve damage somewhere?) – and what, if any could be the best course of recuperation?

Ta

ahwiles
    Free Member

it's only been a week… what does he / you expect?

(awesome photo!)

from the sound of it, he's been back in the Gym already – the silly sausage. a bit of easy stretching and lots of sod-all would be on my prescription card.

how old is he? – based on nothing at all i will guess he's 30 – which is old enough for a big stack to really hurt.

tell him to rest his bones for a bit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

spasm in neck leading to nerve impingement – it will settle in time – but expert diagnosis needed. It could be more serious but I doubt it

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

neck pain, pins and needles and loss of power gets alarms bells ringing with me.

Might just be me over reacting but if I was him I'd get re-checked out asap.

neilb67
    Free Member

I'd be contacting my solicitor and seeing where I stand concerning sueing the ass off my guide… 😀

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

if he's in the north west then tell him to give Stuart cosgrove (state regd physio) on 01942 818910. Aspull near Wigan.
    i have brachial plexus injury of the neck and back which badly affected my arm and movement, it took me 18 months to get good usage back but im convinced i would'nt be where i am today with it if it was'nt for him,
    i had the same symptoms that yer mate has and more besides!
    HTH 😉

chalkstorm
    Free Member

Thanks all

He is 45… ex rugby player…. and yes, he couldn't help himself so would definitely have been in the gym. Said he had spent an hour a day on a gym 'bike'….!

I'm sure I'll get another update from him soon – but I'll pass on your man's info Lawmanmx, ta..

molgrips
    Free Member

Gym bike is probably a good idea, based on no medical knowledge at all.

How old is that photo btw?! Early 90s?

MrNutt
    Free Member

superb photo, I can relate to this kind of behavior! 😀

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

im 45 and been gym rat all my adult life and due to Many Many injuries over the years ive spent lots of time seeing physios, osteopaths and chiropractors …. Mr Cosgrove comes head and shoulders above ALL of the ones ive seen combined! and as a refreshing change he's not all about the (i need to see you 3 times a week for the next 2 yrs) … he fixed my mates lower back in 3 sessions and my boxing partners's shoulder in 2 sessions 🙂

chalkstorm
    Free Member

Just a quick update – I contacted Mr C – who remotely diagnosed him…. based on my description – while my mate visited a physio he has used before – who came up with the same diagnosis! Reckons 6 weeks and he should be 'almost' back to normal (whatever that means!)

😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Crash recovery?’ is closed to new replies.