Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Crash, ouch.
  • NZCol

After many many years of bike commuting my luck ran out this AM. Probably my fault really, heading down a road, someone up my rear about 2 feet away trying to get past, looked back to see WTF was going on, turned round and car in front had braked to a stop behind a bus which had stopped. Bang, into the back and over the top. Car coming the other way just missed me then came and kicked me (!) on the ground and told me to “fckn look where you are going” which was helpful. Scraped myself up and crawled to the kerb. Lady in the car was fantastic, ambulance was great, polcie were awesome. I feel like a ****.
    Could be expensive i fear !

thegreatape
    Free Member

Good account – succinct, flows nicely, all relevant detail included. Hope you’re ok 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Car coming the other way just missed me then came and kicked me (!) on the ground

Assault…

theotherjonv

Hope you’re OK. More detail on the driver who kicked you, that was unnecessary, did you report to the police?

Oh and

Probably my fault really

I’m kind of thinking the same.

chakaping
    Free Member

Assault…

No shit!

Where’d this happen? In NZ? Is it legal to kick cyclists there?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

When I was a kid some friends and I were freeweheeling down a big hill. A guy reversed out of his drive in front of me, I hit the wheel and went flying over the bonnet.

He went radge at me for smashing his wheel trim.

NZCol

No Edinburgh. No idea who it was, they drove away. My embarassment gland is quite swollen as I should really have noticed the blue car a bit earlier. Hey ho, 27 years of bike riding and first accident. Police know about the tosser who kicked me but other than it being a silver astra i’ve no idea who they were.

matt_outandabout

Heal quick fella.

When the embarrassment gland goes down, can we have a nice ranty summary?

jekkyl

any damage to bike or car?

NZCol

I’ll try and get a rant up, frankly I am so embarassed about it while nursing sore ribs, a sore leg and some cuts. Should really help me on the OMM this weekend, hobbling around !

Bike needs new bar tape, rest of it is OK. Car has a nice dent in the rear tailgate which shoud push out (not creased), smashed rear light and a bit of damage to the bumper. Its an Audi so probably a few million pounds to repair….i feel awful about it, someone hit me once and its a pain to get it fixed.

cranberry
    Free Member

I hope you get over the sore ribs and embarrassment, by Singletrack Rules don’t you have to now commute by car as a punishment until you learn what it is like to be a driver ?

cranberry
    Free Member

I hope you get over the sore ribs and embarrassment, by Singletrack Rules don’t you have to now commute by car as a punishment until you learn what it is like to be a driver ?

DezB
    Free Member

Should be able to claim on your house contents liability insurance for the car (if you have it!)
    Hope it wasn’t a carbon framed bike… been there!

NZCol

Yep carbon Cx bike, glancing blow really so should be OK. Have public liability so should be covered as well. Sitting at home working in pain

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

You know it’s gonna hurt properly tomorrow right? Might be worth speaking to the docs to get some codeine or something.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Front / Rear camera on bus in front of accident may have caught kicking culprits car?

poolman
    Free Member

Healing vibes, I once rode into a mk3 Astra the model with the curved rear. Anyway I found out it was like a body mould for me, a perfect fit on impact. All I remember is the kids in the back seat looking really shocked at my close up on rear screen.

It didn’t hurt much, just pride dented.

DezB
    Free Member

carbon CX bike

Get it checked! (Or keep checking it.) It took 2 weeks for the cracks to start showing on my carbon road bike.

NZCol

Had a good look at it earlier and dropped forks out etc – will def keep an eye and an ear out.

YEs, not looking forward to tomorrow. I have an array of quality pharmaceuticals inc codeine and tramadol should i need to escape. As alternative homeopathic medecine i also have taken delivery of a lot of malts which i can work my way through.

But i still feel like an utter d ick.

blader1611
    Free Member

Seriously find out which bus and ask for cctv footage, i have seen loads of footage from buses and you will be amazed at how many cameras are on there, no problem spotting the t**t who booted you.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yeah, Lothian Buses have many cameras on them

martinhutch

As alternative homeopathic medecine i also have taken delivery of a lot of malts which i can work my way through.

How much were planning to water it down?

NZCol

Inverse homeopathy, 1 drop of water to a million parts cask strength.

NZCol

Whoever said it would hurt more this morning was bang on. Taxi to station had tears rolling down my pale sweaty face !

NZCol

An update, police pulled cctv and got car registration, driver helping with enquiries.

TimothyD
    Free Member

It ‘can’ be a really really bad idea to ride a carbon frame after a crash. A relative is an engineering type who branched out from metal fatigue into carbon and rubber as well, and commented on how carbon bike frames can have hidden damage in them after a crash.

Not wishing to make a shit event worse and all that…

NZCol

I’m resigned to replacing the frame and forks already.

gummikuh

A long time ago, something similar happened to me, I was a silly 14 year old on his brand new Raleigh Olympus 5speed (told you it was a long time ago) I overtook my father in his car and I was clear, I really had the hammer down, and I looked back to see how much ground I had, to suddenly come to a very abrupt stop, I had run into a red Vauxhall viva with 4 very bad looking big boys, they got out and one picked me up by my ear and was about to start showing me how stupid I was, only for my dad to now be right behind him and holding his ear, he soon let go of me and they all got back in the car, the car was properly dented, those steel frames were heavy.
    Dad put the forks into a vice later and straightened them with some ladders, they lasted years until the bike was stolen from school.
    I’m not so sure my carbon cx bike would stand the same punishment!
    Take it easy and get better, put it down to experience.

TimothyD
    Free Member

A Dawes frame made of ‘gas tubing’ my brother was riding got hit from the side by a BT van, and years later I looked at it head on to see the head tube was at a slight angle, and that a crack was starting at the top head tube lug where it met the cross tube. It’d been ridden on loads within the family after the BT van incident too. Quite a good lesson on checking frames after a crash I guess.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Crash, ouch.’ is closed to new replies.