Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Crappy LG service, (or is it?)
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We’ve got an LG fridge freezer, one of these…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/pDQDFt]Fridge[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

which is less than 2 yrs old (2 year warranty), about 3 months ago the ‘rotating plate’, which swivels through 90deg when opening/cosing the door & acts as a seal, on the left hand door broke at the bottom hinge. It’s held on with 4 screws & could be replace in about 2 minutes by a blind baboon. I rang LG who put me onto their authorised service company (Huby Electrical) who duly came out, rang the door bell then went before we could answer, I phoned them back & they told me they’d cancelled the job as there was no-one in, so I re scheduled. They then came out on the due date (I had explained what part was needed & where it was located in the 1st place along with the model & serial no.) & the ‘engineer’ wrote down the model & serial no. & said he’d order the part. (you can see where it’s going can’t you) I told him we were away the following week so to leave a message on the phone. Of course when we got back there was no calls or messages so I phoned them to be told, ‘JTM have cancelled the job’. Errr, who tf are JTM? They are the insurance company that sort out LG’s repair work in conjunction with Huby. I’m getting a bit narked with the lack of communication by now so I ring LG again who tell me the appliance is beyond economic repair. Now the fridge was almost £800, a whole door is only £118 & I would’ve said the broken part would be say £30-40.
    Lg then sent me an ‘uplift authorisation’ letter which means I can have either my money back or a replacement, happy days except they don’t do that one anymore or even one that fits our requirements (Hotpoint do one that’s close)
    I’ve even tried to source the part myself through these clowns…
    http://www.4lg.co.uk/ who after 2 weeks have told me

I have resolved your part number enquiry with the part number for the left hand door LGEADC73126506 . Unfortunately this is not a stocked item and would need to be ordered directly from LG which may take between 14 – 28 days.

I found that part before they did, it’s the whole door so I assume the broken bit Isn’t available as a spare.
    I’ve since written to LG again explaining all this & am still awaiting a response.
    Is it normal to write off an £800 fridge for the cost of £118 part?
    Looks like I’ll be getting my money back & buying a Hotpoint, at least we’ll have a brand new fridge with a one years warranty. 🙄
    Sorry about the long winded blab, I just feel better writing down!

Flaperon

Lg then sent me an ‘uplift authorisation’ letter which means I can have either my money back or a replacement

So take the money! Seems like LG are being pretty reasonable to me.

cp

The cost of call outs so far has probably sent it over some threshold of repair costs.

I’d take the refund and get a new one.

Or fix it myself if I could get the part, even the whole door.

Jamie
    Free Member

Take the money.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Or fix it myself if I could get the part, even the whole door.

I mailed LG to see if they’d give me the price of the door rather than a full refund & still waiting for a reply.
    I’m going for a refund I reckon. I know they’ve been reasonable in offering a refund but the ’round the houses’ service is crap.

geoffj

Take the money and tell them that you’ll dispose of it.
    Then buy the part and fix it yourself.

bruneep

Take the money

Gamble!

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqjym8fvIyk[/video]

andyl
    Free Member

take the money, cash the cheque. Be out when they call by to pick it up to give them a taste of their own medicine. They will probably then forget about it.

Worst case is you go out and buy a new fridge freezer and get a nice new warranty.

Cougar

at least we’ll have a brand new fridge with a one years warranty

Two year EU warranty on electrical items and may be covered up to six years under the Sale of Goods Act.

properbikeco
    Free Member

take the money as above

I’d then try to fix it !

or if you insist on a new fridge a bosch/siemens are really very good for the money.

tthew

espares is good for parts. Fairly easy to search through and get what you need. I bet it’s on this page!

http://www.espares.co.uk/search/ma81pt1546/fridges-and-freezers/hinges/lg

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Take the money and tell them that you’ll dispose of it.
    Then buy the part and fix it yourself.

Already thought of that but the Uplift Authorisation is just that, they want the original appliance back!
    Barsatrds eh!

Two year EU warranty on electrical items and may be covered up to six years under the Sale of Goods Act.

Actually on looking at the Hotpoint website it says 1yr on labour, 10 yrs on parts, but on the Currys site it just says 1 yrs manufacturers warranty.

hot_fiat

Take the cash and buy something different. My Mum & Dad have had pretty abysmal warranty service from lg on their direct drive washer. Seems they outsource care to a variety of imbeciles who either don’t know what they’re doing or don’t care, or both.

Just out of interest: is the plate heated?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just out of interest: is the plate heated?

Don’t think so, it’s inside the fridge attached to the door.

Seems they outsource care to a variety of imbeciles who either don’t know what they’re doing or don’t care, or both.

Correct & I’ve let them know what I think of them.

Cougar

Actually on looking at the Hotpoint website it says 1yr on labour, 10 yrs on parts, but on the Currys site it just says 1 yrs manufacturers warranty.

A manufacturer’s warranty is in addition to your statutory rights, not instead of it. That’s what ‘statutory’ means.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Crappy LG service, (or is it?)’ is closed to new replies.