Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Crap WiFi…
  • ratherbeintobago

We have crap wifi (Sky Hub, inevitably).

Is there any point in turning the wifi off and using it as a wired router with an N/AC access point? If so, what’s the panel’s recommendation? I know this sounds a bit messy but I’ve hear Sky broadband doesn’t play well with third party routers.

Drac

Sky routers are just Netgear aren’t they? You should be able to use any router.

ratherbeintobago

They were Netgear, but the last two iterations have been their own. Apparently the reason they were giving away range extenders is because they know the router’s a bit crap…

unovolo
    Free Member

Tickles me to hear the feedback on the Sky routers, as when I used to work for them I remember going to a seminar where amongst other things they were biggin up the new In-house router(White cube shaped model), how it supposedly had twin internal antennae(reputedly Mimo ones).

I got hold of one to replace the Netgear one I was running at the time to find out that my throughput speeds were no better and the wifi range was in fact worse.

A lot of the reviews rate it at no better than average including the new black fibre one too, good job they give them away for free.

Regards brands Sky routers have been manufactured by Netgear, Sagem and Dlink over the years,plus their are the customers who were formally with O2 (now Sky BB) that have Thomson routers too.

701arvn
    Free Member

I recall that Sky will not supply the password so you can use another router, but you could use a second router for Wi-Fi and cable it into the Sky router.

Alternatively an extender/repeater may do the job

It my be that you just have congestion on the channel, try changing the channel or using this; http://www.inssider.com/inssider4/

There is a free download on there somewhere and this tool will show what networks are using which channels in the locality.

Caher

I had this issue with Virgin, so i turned their Hub into a modem and bought a Asus RT-N66U from amazon. wired i now get over 100 mbs and wifi near 50.

ratherbeintobago

I recall that Sky will not supply the password so you can use another router, but you could use a second router for Wi-Fi and cable it into the Sky router.

This is the bit I’m not clear about – presumably I can switch the wireless off on the Sky Hub, leaving it to handle routing duties, and use a (cheaper) wireless access point to provide the WiFi?

unovolo
    Free Member

There are ways of getting the Password from the Sky router so you can use a different(better) aftermarket router.

Never done it myself but others on here have, worth asking the question on here or googling it.

nemesis
    Free Member

presumably I can switch the wireless off on the Sky Hub, leaving it to handle routing duties, and use a (cheaper) wireless access point to provide the WiFi?

Yes, you can.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Most ISP supplied routers have poor WiFi with an omnidirectional internal antenna and then people go stick them where the computer is, tucked away in a corner of the house, or by the master phone socket, often likewise at a corner where the cable is easiest to enter the house. Worst position for WiFi to spread around the house.

You can get an access point and either turn off the WiFi in the router or keep it on and have two APs. You can use the same SSID & password or different. Same means not having to configure each device for the new AP.

Locate in a central point in the house, higher up and ideally one with external antenna. There are various tricks to make it more directional rather than radiate half the signal out of the house.

Been looking at a solution for my parents, and could either wire up with cable or use a powerline thing with a WiFi AP at one end. Can also get WiFi repeaters although they’re less advised as they halve the bandwidth apparently.

Other simple option is to relocate the router and see if that helps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Crap WiFi…’ is closed to new replies.