Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Crankset choices??
  • scottyb88
    Free Member

Looking at a new whun-by crankset not sure what to go for Raceface sixc or Hope any input would be appreciated.
    Need to go shorter, stiffer and lighter than my SRAM X1 1400.
    Went from tiagra to 105 on the cx bike and the difference was quite surprising – hopping to get a similar step change on my proper bike.

deano8
    Free Member

Went from X1 175mm to X0 170mm carbon cranks, they feel stiffer but it may just be because they’re shorter??
    Certainly look better 🙂

scottyb88
    Free Member

Sweet, not thought about the high end sram stuff will check it out

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    russyh
    Free Member

I have Sixc’s and they have been great so far. Light, stiff and seem strong. But there are loads of reports of failures. To my mind one of the issues is that Race Face do not torque the arms up correctly in the factory and you need a whooping 16mm Allen key to donthis yourself. I did mine out of the box, the drive side crank was loose. No problems at all. They replaced a set of Hope cranks. Which were without doubt the worse cranks I have ever owned . At the time you could only buy a hope chain ring (expensive) they creaked constantly. Overly complicated with a preload ring made of cheese and a very poor design, slots cut into the axle create a weak spot and funnily my crank axle snapped, Hope said they had never seen another like it. My lbs had already replaced 4! Sure they look sweet, but for a produce that took hope years to ‘develop’ they are woefully poor and actually bloody heavy!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

XTR.

Avoid anything with self extracting bolts for a mounting system. All total rubbish.

scottyb88
    Free Member

shit! never thought of Hope making anything that poor, that’s off the list then. what were the failures on the sixc’s? is it because of the loose crank arm?

julians
    Free Member

Merlin are doing m9020 xtr single ring cranks with chainring for £194

Seems like a good price to me

finbar
    Free Member

Rotor?

Personally I’d go for Shimano.

gelert
    Free Member

One of my Next SL sets has just gone back because the pedal insert has started to loosen. I only just bought the 2nd set for my other bike after the first set seemed to have done really well for just over a year of use. That cursed them, didn’t it?! They feel amazing though. Hope they warranty them. Still a PITA though.

I fitted my old SLX cranks back on the bike (plus the necessary BB change) and there’s nothing quite like a Shimano crank install. Bike does feel a chunk heavier but at least it’s safe to ride now and with “up to 30 days” for them to look at em… glad I didn’t sell the SLXs now.

I had a mare getting the Next SL off. It’s probably worth loosening and tightening the drive side arm every two months to stop it seizing (even though I grease everything really well). It’s easy enough when it works and a damn sight better than old RF stuff to fit and remove.

If I had my money back for the Next SL instead of a replacement… I’d probably look at XTR again. Even if it’s heavier the Shimano install / removal is just bliss.

Tracey

Running X0 on most of our bikes, mixture of BB30 and GXP, stiff enough and easy to get off

Northwind

I’m back on an old XTR M970 set after breaking my Raceface Nexts twice. I had a look around for alternatives but tbh nothing really seemed to provide an upgrade worth spending money on.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Crankset choices??’ is closed to new replies.