Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cranks/BB Creaks?
  • clowner
    Free Member

Just had a CK BB fitted and had first ride today.

Spins very smoothly with no binding etc but I was experiencing alot of creaking from the BB/Crank area when under heavy load while climbing.

Had a look and noticed there is a small but noticeable amount of lateral play in the cranks (RF Deus)which are fully tightened.

Any idea if this would cause the creaking?

Subsequently I've removed the cranks and fitted one of the small spacers that came with the BB and that looks like it may have solved it – however not having any climbs of note by the house I couldn't really check it properly.

Don't know whether to leave it till the next ride or get it back to the shop for them to check it out and sort it.

clowner
    Free Member

Anyone?

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Take it for a test ride up a climb and that should tell you regarding any creaking from the b/b area.

clowner
    Free Member

I've taken it up the biggest climb I've got near me and it was fine but I don't think it was big enough for a full test.

My dilemma is whether I should take it bag to the LBS straight away or give it proper test on the next ride during the week.

I'd also like to know if anyone knows if the side to side play is likely to cause creaking or if that's just a rabbit hole and there is another issue else where with the BB

gazza100

Iv had the same problem with my RF Deus cranks. Only way I can get them tight enough was to put a 2.5 mm spacer on the non drive side. Its now a very fine line to get them tight enough to stay on and being able to spin them freely. Had enough of them so ordered some Shimano slx.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

clowner i have had that problem for ages, its so loud and annoiyng, i dont think its the BB as my hope bb has no play at all and it still creeks, i think it could be my pedal as its kinda stuck to the crank which i need to get sorted lol

Zilog
    Free Member

The race face cranks do tend to get a lot of problems. There normally fine the first time if fitted properly but every time you refit them they tend to not fit quite so well. Eventually getting to the point where you will tighten them all the way up and they will still have play. Or if you have gone any significant distance with a loose crank that tends to kill then strait away. I have seen people use spacers take up the play as people have mentioned on here but this results in side loading the BB that will result in its premature failure. If this is what your cranks are doing I would talk to RF as its a prevalent issue that they appear quite slow at addressing.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

ive had my cranks off a new time this week and there raceface atlas xc, no play either, i jut cant work out what it could be lol

clowner
    Free Member

LBS wanted it back to check it out.

Hopefully they'll get to the bottom of it.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

I have have a similar problem with my RF Deus XC chainset. I have removed the chainset a few times recently for one reason or another, the last occasion to replace the useless standard BB for a Hope ceramic. I have the same creaking noise discovered on the first ride today and it is driving me nuts!!!

Can anyone tell me if there is a torque setting for the reinstalation of the 8mm crank bolt? I have fitted the cranks with the reccomended spacers etc(2.5mm Drive/73mm Cup) and used suitable grease etc. How far do i tighten them up? Just as far as i can before the cranks stop spinning?

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Just checked with Rf… 61 Nm apparently or untill you hit hit the stop. Off to fettel.
    😀

Tomahawk
    Free Member

On closer evaluation of this problem it seems that the noise is coming from the rear cassette(Sram redwin red cage only fitted 3 months ago). When the brakes are applied and force applied to the cranks there is a noise/slight movement in the cassette? The cassette is fitted to the correct torque etc…. any ideas? Free hub problem?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Usual chainring bolts, pedal threads etc.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

It could be the chainring bolts… just changed em for some KCNC red ones when i changed back to a triple. They seeemed ''snug' but will check. defo not pedals. Thanks.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cranks/BB Creaks?’ is closed to new replies.