Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cranks won't come off (threaded)
  • BlipBloop

Here is the deal.

For the first time ever I tried to remove chainset and bb to fit chainset and bb.

Cranks and standard eom FSA jobbies square taper. Upon application of crank puller (bike shop standard 6 quid) it threaded the cranks arms. They appear beyond salvation.

I’ve tried riding the bike around and the arms frustratingly won’t just fall off. I have tried bashing with a hammer to get them removed,

The cranks and BB are toast as far as I am concerned – any tips on how to remove? Not much faith in LBS but wondering if now is the time to submit to their patience.

I’m putting hollow tech 2 cranks back on so pretty happy to trash old parts. I’m not a bad home mechanic but I’ve never done BB and cranks before

legend
    Free Member

One of these will do the job:

Ball joint seperator

z1ppy

I attacked one with a hacksaw to get it off in the end, it’s only ali, so didn’t take too long. Took attacking it with two cuts per arm (I only had to do one) to get there but a little elbow grease was all that was otherwise required.

simondbarnes

Hacksaw

brakes
    Free Member

use a bigger hammer
    and take a run up

cynic-al
    Free Member

better tool fitted correctly.

Or find LBS with stein OS thread cutter and tool.

singlespeedstu

A saw cut across the taper on the crank will relieve and tension holding them on.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I had the exact opposite problem on my attempted ride today… seems that the threads on the net are a little lacking!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Had this happen with a cheapo crank pusher years ago. Got a park handled one and it worked fine!

BlipBloop

Ball joint separator? Can I pick one up from Halfords?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Screw fix have one for a fiver. 19mm jaw capacity, will this be big enough to go over a square taper spindle?

cynic-al
    Free Member

can’t you measure one?

I could but CBA, my guess is a fairly certain yes.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Whoops, wrong blooming thread…dick-head! 😳

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cranks won't come off (threaded)’ is closed to new replies.