Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Crankbrothers Mallet E pedals
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

I have Time Atac Carbons on my anthem, which I mainly use for XC and some tame trail riding.

Looking for a clipless pedal to put on my 5, but with a larger platform.
    Also needs to have float like the Atac’s, which is 5 degrees of radial float and 3mm of side-to-side float, which is meant to reduce knee and joint tension.

Dodgy knees here.

The mallets have 6 degrees of float, have no idea if that’s radial. They don’t have the 3mm side to side float..

Are the mallets knee friendly like that Atac’s?
    Anybody using these, are they worth the £92 asking price?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I very much doubt the E stands for everlasting

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Using standard Mallet DH’s after using the last 3 versions.
    Tried the E’s earlier this year (the 1st version). For my feet I prefer the DH for the slightly wider platform.
    Float… Well it depends how you use them. With your feet stamped down they are solid. Depending on the shoes, pin settings and a bit more the float is there or not. There is a little side to side but not much but I can move my heels in and out with them.

As for the usual CB haters…
    After the original versions the next itteration was the split cage pedals with updated bearings. Used my Candy 3’s Mattlet 3’s for probably 3 years in all conditions, need to do a bearing change in the candies now. It’s a 5 min job.
    This years pedal versions have updated bearings and seals.
    I spoke with the new Australian distributor about the past stuff and taking them on. They said the updates gave them confidence to work with them.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

They will probably fall off the axle after 6 months if my experiences are anything to go by.

Got Mallet’s on my old bike and Mallet E’s on my new bike – love them and never had a hint of a problem.

The amount of float almost feels like you are riding flats

Goldigger
    Free Member

Which Shoes are you using with them?
    Think I also need to replace my Shimano’s with rock hard soles!

VanHalen

I have ancient mallets on my big bike that appear indestructable

the 2ng gen mallets i`ve on my HT also seem ok after a year of neglect but ridden 4 times a week in all weathers.

i did have a candy pedal fail once but then it was old and second hand.

they have a bad rep but i`m doing OK.

I really like the float – as said above its not flats but you can move yer feet. it was a bit wierd initially as yer feet are a bit wobbly when sat down pedalling but once used to it its great. standign they feel like a flat.

the wider axle q factor in the mallet DH pedals is a great thing. i like the narrower normal axle but i’ve had a few moments where i’ve tried to unclip and the shoe fouls on teh crank. this doesnt happen for me with teh wider axle. also the wider stance give more control which is good for the big bike.

using candys i had some accidental release when the cleats got worn (i think because the pedal isnt as grippy and when landing a jump or in a compression the foot can move easier – i think they do pedal spacers to help reduce this but i didnt know at teh time!) but with teh mallets this has never happened and i get a suprisingly long time out of cleats.

i curently use spec 2f0 shoes. i`ve used vans clips and some random disco slippers too.

Which Shoes are you using with them?

661 Filters – really comfy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Crankbrothers Mallet E pedals’ is closed to new replies.