Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Crankbrothers Mallet E or Nukeproof Horizon CL or DMR Vtwin
  • mancian
    Free Member

Hi

After many years with Shimano DX Pedals, it’s time for a change and something more upto date with a bigger platform.

My main issue with the DX was unclipping all the time when twisting a lot on the bike. Could never cure this no matter how I adjusted the tension. So I’m guessing a need more float.

I see CB offer 15 or 20 degrees of float and the NP go as much as 8 degrees.

I’m just after people’s opinions on the above pedals and their own personal experience with clipping in/out, unclipping when not wanted etc.

At the mo I’m swaying towards the CB just purely for the amount of float but just a bit concerned as I’ve been used to spd for years now.

Thanks

kimbers

Mallets require annual service, cheats wear quite quick.

Definitely more high maintenance.

But they work better in the mud than SPD’s and have a lot more float

So I prefer them, not tired the nukeproofs or dmrs

nickdavies

I’ve recently bought the nukeproof horizons, I put a thread up about them and got a couple of positive responses so gave them a go.

I specifically wanted a set that were shimano compatible so I can keep to one set of shoes, 3 bikes have spds on. Really impressed, really confidence inspiring descending and there is enough meat there to give grip if you miss a clip.

zilog6128

I rode Mallet 3s for a couple of years before switching to flats a while back. Loads of float, very easy to clip in/out once you get used to them vs. SPDs. Never popped out except in a crash! Really rated them, had no problems with reliability, didn’t need to service them (the 3s are made better/higher spec than other Mallets apparently). Can’t comment on Es as they weren’t around then AFAIK.

Gotama
    Free Member

I like the float on crank brothers. Be aware the mallet E has a narrower Q factor than the DH if you’re sensitive to that. I have the longer axle kit fitted to mine. Have both E and DH, very little between although if pushed I would prefer the DH as you can feel the bigger platform.

HT maybe worth a look if you want higher tension. Not ridden them but by several accounts 50% preload is about the same as full for shimano.

Rode Mallets for years (currently on E’s) and love them – easy in/out and lots of float suits me

kimbers

I like the float on crank brothers. Be aware the mallet E has a narrower Q factor than the DH

I thought the newer versions were wider

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mallet dh for me, bigger platforms just like the old ones, service is simple when needed and a great pedal. Tried the first gen e’s and they were a bit small for my feet.

grumpster
    Free Member

When my original eggbeaters broke (~9 years old!) I bought the Mallet Es.

I’ve also had some SPDs on another bike for a while but couldn’t get on with them but that was a long time to be honest so they hopefully have improved since then. They got clogged up far too easily and my knees played up with them.

The mallets very rarely clog up and I don’t think I’ve ever unclipped unintentionally (crashes excluded). I like them but it is a bit of a personal taste thing. I’ve only had them for a few months now so it is too early to make any claim on the longevity but they appear to be wearing well. They do give a nice stable platform and have survived some big rocks.

hairyscary

If it’s unclipping as you move about that you are worried about then have a read about HT pedals.
    I thought about trying something other than Crank Brothers when my last set wore out, but just ended up buying another set of Mallets.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

I like the float on crank brothers. Be aware the mallet E has a narrower Q factor than the DH

I thought the newer versions were wider[/quote]

Kimbers is almost there – the e is now available in both narrower and wider w factor options es and els if memory serves (this is gained from a pre bar wander around the expo at ard rock so may be completely wrong)

lyrikal
    Free Member

I’ve changed from mallet dh to nukeproof horizons purely so I can use the same shoes on my road bike without changing pedals. Clip in is much easier on the Mallets in my opinion, they have a bit more float but when clipped in they do have a very similar feel. The bigger platform gives great support, especially on flat sole shoes like 510s.

They need a bit more tlc than Shimano but if you remove the end cap and regrease them every now and again you’ll have no worries.

Just for a shameless plug, I’m selling my mallets in classifieds

mancian
    Free Member

Cheers for the input. It’s between the Horizon and Mallets. Swaying more to the mallets though as they sound more secure with more Float and are also lighter. Just need crc to get the black back in stock as I have a discount code.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I struggle a bit with the mallets, the narrow Q factor feels weird to me.

It also makes unclipping a bit of a lottery in some situations, because of the above.

That, coupled with questionable reliability, I wouldn’t buy them.

The Horizons look good to me. Kind of like an evolved Shimano trail pedal with a useful platform.

poah
    Free Member

Time MX6

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I am running the DRM v-twin

The pedals seem a bit fat, but other than that I’ve been happy enough with them, although they don’t seem to offer loads of advantages over the XT-trails I was running before. I suppose it’s be better for unclipped moments, but I don’t usually have much of a problem with that.

I probably wouldn’t buy again, and just stick to the Shimano trail style. YMMV

In the alps this year, they came off in favour of Vaults….

justaname
    Free Member

I have a set of V-twins too. I really like them. I’ve tweaked the plastic bumper height using the shims they came with and added the pins and they now feel like a set of flats just with the security of a cleat.

Personally I’m really impressed with them, pedals are a pretty personal choice thing though really..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Crankbrothers Mallet E or Nukeproof Horizon CL or DMR Vtwin’ is closed to new replies.