Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Crank replacement- classic square taper Raceface vs. newer X-type
  • voodoo-rich

I’m looking at buying an Orange ST4 S, the basic spec version, and replacing a few components with spares and bits nicked from other bikes.

I’ve got a set of Raceface Turbine cranks which would look lovely, and the RF race rings shift beautifully, but would mean sticking a square taper BB in. Stock cranks are the Raceface Ride XC which are a bit basic but I’m sure will work okay, plus X-type BB which I guess is Racefaces version of hollowtech. Stock set-up might be lighter, and decent square taper BBs are getting scarce (I’m not splashing out on a Royce or anything silly!)

What would you fit?

lunge

The new RaceFace cranks are very nice, quite stiff and seem pretty strong. However, the BB is rubbish, if would stay with the X-Type cranks and pay a couple of quid extra for the Hope BB which will last much longer.

Alex

I prefer the turbines. Had some Ride XCs a couple of years ago and they are good cranks for the money but the turbines are definitely a higher quality product. Chainline on ST4 is a bit odd, if you go down SQ T, you'll need a 118 I think.

voodoo-rich

I do prefer the Turbines (silver, hardly marked, even at nearly 10 years old) but keep thinking I'm missing out on new technology- plus the issue of chainline must be easier to sort with spacers etc. rather than buying an assortment of BBs!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Crank replacement- classic square taper Raceface vs. newer X-type’ is closed to new replies.