Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Crank Removal Problems -XTR M970
  • peteimpreza

Trying to remove my M970 cranks.

Non-drive side arm won’t budge. I am am using the correct tool, which is now stuck on the axle. Not cross threaded as I wound it on carefully by hand before applying any leverage.

I have also tried heating the area to no avail.

Any suggestions?

njee20
    Free Member

Bigger 8mm Allen key in the tool.

peteimpreza

I have bent the biggest Allen keys I can get in the whole

njee20
    Free Member

Stick an old handlebar on the end of one to get extra leverage. Never seen one of those be problematic.

peteimpreza

I’m in Stroud you you want a look!

wwaswas

remove tool and ride around the block with no bolt in and see if it loosens the arm on the splines?

peteimpreza

Tool is stuck in the axle as I stated above.

peteimpreza

Just broken an Allen key using the handlebar trick

orangeboy
    Free Member

Bit confused as the tool threads into the inside of the crank arm rather than the axle
    Could you try to slightly tighten the 8 mm Allen key then remove the tool once some of the tension is off it

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah tool threads into the LH crank arm, the alu bolt threads into the axle.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Should be this tool

screws into the crank arm, then you undo the bolt acts as a puller, usually very simple to do 😀
    The pins are to unscrew the plastic insert which keeps the threads clean.

wwaswas

doesn’t the tool have a reverse thread on it – you are undoing it the right way?

zbonty

This happened to me once. Can be a bugger to get out. I think i ended putting the crank in a chunky vice at work and using a massive pipe wrench which was a tricky procedure. As you’ve discovered, with the small hole in the tool you can’t get a big enough screwdriver/allen key through to generate the leverage.

I had managed to get the crank off already, just had the tool stuck. I also replaced the bolt as that had deformed being so soft.

Best of luck!

peteimpreza

Sussed the problem now, need to get the tool out somehow now

njee20
    Free Member

LH thread on the tool. Stick a small Allen key in the hole on the side to help turn it if necessary.

rob2
    Free Member

I find these a bugger to take off. I just knock the crank arm off with a rubber mallet now. Even following the you tube video mine never feel happy with the extractor bolt

peteimpreza

All sorted now, thanks guys

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Crank Removal Problems -XTR M970’ is closed to new replies.