Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • crank removal
  • hainman
    Free Member

i bought the bike tool kit from lidl today and was giving my bike a wee footer and i was trying to remove the cranks but the crank removal tool went in but didnt actualy do anything,is there a certain size of removal tool you need for shimano cranks??not 100% sure if its octalink or ISIS.anyway my crank removal tool looks to small to move the crankarm off.it turned allthe way in but was very slack.cheers guys for any info

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

depends what crank you have. If you have octalink and an old tool you might just need to put a coin or bolt with suitable size head (ie larger diameter than your extractor end, and similar to the diameter of the bottom bracket axle) in there first for the crank extractor to push against (had to do this with a raceface crank I have on external BB using an old crank extractor)

andyl
    Free Member

the extractor is for square taper.

You need a 5p coin in there or something similar.

hainman
    Free Member

good skills munqe-chick your a life star.thanks alot,that would make sense and save me buying a new tool.

hainman
    Free Member

cheers andyl i’ll try that tomorrow.

gears_suck
    Free Member

5p won’t do jack. If you’ve got hollowtech you’ll need a larger diameter end on the part of the tool which pushes against the axle and forces the arm off. This is what you get buying tools from such places. A decent park or similar tool comes with an interchangeable end for the majority of different style cranks out there. Your tool may be limited to square taper????

h4muf
    Free Member

It also does ISIS,my lbs gave me the adapter for hollotech 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

5 p should work with hollowrech octalink cranks – might need two for strength

PJM1974
    Free Member

A 5p coin is an extremely useful thing when it comes to removing cranks.

hainman
    Free Member

how about 20p??its four 5p’s 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘crank removal’ is closed to new replies.