Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Crank question. Which to use
  • Scoobster
    Free Member

I have to change the cranks on my Ironhorse MkIII and was wondering which to go for. I have found some Isis Middleburn cranks or some Shimano SLX HTII type. Which would you use?

khani
    Free Member

SLX, lighter, stiffer, better bb and easier to fit and change the bb when it needs replacing

epicyclo

Middleburn

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Both

khani
    Free Member

There you go then, 😆
    One of each, you may need a hammer and a rock…..

PJM1974
    Free Member

SLX for the win.

tf
    Free Member

Regardless of anything else, stay away from ISIS BBs, it’s an ill conceived technology that has no future. Other than that, I would not consider anything other than Shimano 🙂

Scoobster
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm this all helps….lol

Suppose it probably does come down to personal preference really. Think I will go for the SLX then.

Thanks for all you replies and Merry Christmas to all.

tf
    Free Member

Personal preference? No, no, no. If you asked about Hollowtech II vs. square taper, that would be a matter of personal preference, and you would discover that the STW readership basically falls into two groups: they either hate HT2 and love square taper, or hate square taper and love HT2, and both sides feel very passionately about their preferred kit. But I can’t recall anyone passionately defending ISIS BBs against the alternatives, and there is a good reason for it. Square taper and HT2 basically do what they are supposed to. ISIS on the other hand is for people who like learning new tricks, like pedaling with one crank only and such. 🙂

Merry Christmas!

epicyclo

ISIS done properly is ok. Middleburn cranks, Crank Bros* ISIS BB with 5 year guarantee. Much lighter than the alternatives.

*Mine is 2 years old and still smooth.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Another thumbs up for SLX. I’ve had mine for a year and the crankarms still look fairly newish. The anodising is awesome!

joolsburger
    Free Member
    MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Middleburn are now making an axle that allows you to use their ISIS cranks with an external BB.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Crank question. Which to use’ is closed to new replies.