Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Crank lengths …
  • snap
    Free Member

ive been offered a 165mm crank at a good price
    i normally ride a 175mm
    10mm difference does it make a big difference
    apart from the fact that you get more strike clearance
    what other differences can you expect

thanks

qwerty
    Free Member
    Northwind

I never notice any difference between my 170s and 175s. The DH bike has 165s and I do notice a difference- it means I can pedal it up a hill without kneeing the fork crowns :mrgreen:

Joking aside my stance and pedalling does feel a tiny bit more cramped on the 165s, I have no idea if it’s real or imagined but it’s pretty consistent.

oldnick

I found they felt different, a mix of less torque but easier to spin. Doesn’t bother me but if you grind big gears it might not suit you.

andyrm
    Free Member

Switched from 170’s to 165’s after doing my IT band in – made a world of difference. No more pain 🙂

Tiny bit of pedal strike clearance was a brucey bonus too.

snap
    Free Member

The intension is to put them on my singlespeed , which ive always found hard to pedal
    (sometimes get knee pains)
    am i right in saying going from a 175 to a 165 may make it slightly easier to pedal in the same gear ratio

Greybeard
    Free Member

My experience is that using shorter cranks doesn’t make a lot of difference. On the other hand, using cranks that are too long for your leg length can damage your knees.

float
    Free Member

am i right in saying going from a 175 to a 165 may make it slightly easier to pedal in the same gear ratio

nope, harder. less leaverage innit

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Crank lengths …’ is closed to new replies.