Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Crank length (for cross)
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

What cranklength is everyone running for cyclocross?

I’ve heard differing opinions on whether it makes a difference. All I know is coming from a mountain bike background i’ve always had a 175 crank length. On my road bike i’ve got 172.5 because that’s what the bike came with and on my cross bike it’s 170 as that was in the parts bin.

I feel i’m more spinny when racing cross.

As cross is very similar to mtb is it best to run 175? (obviously checking for toe overlap)

crispycross
    Free Member

Is it possible you feel more ‘spinny’ because you’re missing a bit of leverage? I find I push harder in CX than in MTB racing because the events are shorter, so you’re trying harder, plus it’s bloody pointless trying to spin your way across a bumpy field, through heavy mud or up a short, steep bank. You need a smooth pedal stroke and a lower cadence to get anywhere.

benji
    Free Member

175mm on the cross bike and mountain bike, 170mm on the road bike.

No derailleurs were used in the making of these bicycles 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Can you get MTB cranks in 172.5? Looks like Shimano and SRAM don’t do them.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Can you get MTB cranks in 172.5? Looks like Shimano and SRAM don’t do them

Never seen one myself.

Is it possible you feel more ‘spinny’ because you’re missing a bit of leverage? I find I push harder in CX than in MTB racing because the events are shorter, so you’re trying harde

#

What cranklength are you running?

RoterStern
    Free Member

I run the same crank length on all my bikes (175) apart from my SS (180) as I was told that it’s better for your legs. Something to do with ‘muscle memory’.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Crank length (for cross)’ is closed to new replies.