Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • crank length
  • ps44
    Free Member

So without checking properly, I just bought and fitted some 165 cranks. It did have 170s on, and I only noticed as I was fitting them and saw the little 165 stamped by the pedal hole. I was actually thinking about trying longer ones as I’m tall. Ridden it this morning and can’t really feel any difference. Am I going to die ?

Bazz

You’ll be fine, i spent 3 years riding on cranks that i had assumed were 175mm, it’s only when i came to change them that i realised they were 170mm. In real world use i don’t think you’ll notice at all.

JoeG
    Free Member

Some downhillers run 165s for ground clearance.

Too short should not cause a problem, cranks that are too long can cause knee pain and other issues for some people.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JCL
    Free Member

Studies have shown no difference in average power output. You’re only gaining ground clearance which can be an advantage on rutted tech climbs.

IA

Doubt it’ll kill you. FWIW I’m 6’4 and run 180s for XC, 165s would drive me mad spinning tiny circles (used to run them on the DH bike). I find 180s more comfortable.

PhilO
    Free Member

While I’m 6′, and run 155s in a (largely successful) bid to combat knee pain.

I’m not surprised that you can’t tell eny difference. A few years back I had to do an emergency crank transplant after stripping a pedal thread, and several months later realised I was riding 175 on the drive side and 170 on the NDS. Never did notice any difference…

rickmeister

If your interested in a swap for xtr 180’s then pm me…

toys19
    Free Member

Or sell them to me? Depending on what the are..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘crank length’ is closed to new replies.