Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Crank Length
  • PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’ve been looking at cranks for my first custom build and was just wondering if there was a noticeable difference between running 170 mm and 175 mm cranks. If anyone can shed any light on the matter it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

scaredypants

none, IMO

165 on my FS, 175 on my HT, 180 road bike – chosen for cost mostly

fourbanger
    Free Member

172.5 don’t feel as nice to ride as 170 for me. I’m quite particular about bike setup and feel though.

LeeW

I had 170mm on my MTB than swapped them out for 175mm when I upgraded.

The only thing I noticed was that I find it a little harder to spin as well as before, I’m sure I’ll get used to it, I haven’t ridden the mtb as much as I shoulg recently. 😳

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve heard folk say 2.5mm difference is night and day. Usually the same folk that say 2.5mm of a headset spacer is also night and day.

I’ve never felt a difference, seems to me what you get in leverage you lose in larger stroke and vice versa.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

thanks very much! I will be ordering a 170mm slx set now! 😀

avdave2

165 on one bike and 170 on the other and I notice going to 165 if I’ve been riding the 170’s exclusively for a while but not the other way round. My knees don’t like 175’s if I ride long stretches of road where I’m sat down not moving around.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I was running 175’s on my MTB before I started experimenting and in fairness, it’s never held me back, but then I’m not spinning at 100rpm for 4 hours at a time on the MTB.

Northwind

I couldn’t tell you which of my bikes has the 170mm cranks and which has the 175.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Crank Length’ is closed to new replies.