Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Crank help with Pressfit BB91
  • skimpy
    Free Member

Hi,

I have recently bought a Commencal Meta SL frame and I am getting a little confused about how to set up the dual-ring setup up front.

I need to get some cranks that are going to work with the BB91/92 press fit bottom bracket (Hollowtech II) but I am unsure of what cranks to get. Everything comes as either 68/73mm or 83mm but my shell is 92mm. I put my existing Saint cranks which are 83mm axel and there seems to be alot of exposed shaft on it as there were to be used with external bearings not internal, press fit bearings.

So, does anyone know what cranks I can run with this setup? There will be working with a Shimano SLX M676 Front Derailleur Direct Mount – double.

Any help would be much appreciated, I am muchos confused!!

Tim

stumpy01

I have got a bb91 BB on my FSR and just put the XT crank from my Inbred on it without any bother.
    The cheapo Shimano crank that came off the FSR went on the Inbred no bother too.

Remember that the shell width refers to the frame without cups, so the actual width (68/73) with cups fitted is a lot more. The cups must stick out 5mm or so each side and the htII BB comes with all sorts of spacers to fill it out, whereas when I stuck the XT onto the FSR it went on (obviously, perhaps) with no spacers.

skimpy
    Free Member

Yeah, the physical shell on the frame is 92mm, then the cups stick out from there. However, the pressfit doesn’t really have external cups that stick out so thats only adding a few mm whereas my other bike has a 83mm shell, then the cups stick out about 10mm each side meaning when the cranks go through they sit pretty close to the cups.

When I put them on this frame with the pushfit there is just a big bit of “shaft” exposed?? Does this sound right Should there be a spacer there?

skimpy
    Free Member

Excuse the crappy picture but you can see the additional amount of crank sticking out one side – is this going to be the same on all 83mm cranks or should I look to get a 68/73 HT2 crankset?

honourablegeorge

You need a normal 68/73mm crank.

BB91 has the bearings inside the frame, external BBs have them outside the frame, but the overall width ends up the same.

Rorschach
    Free Member

/\ this….

skimpy
    Free Member

Awesome. Right, the hunt for cranks is on…

Thanks everyone!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Crank help with Pressfit BB91’ is closed to new replies.