Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Crank Help!!!
  • logic1980
    Free Member

Im building a trail/XC hardtail machine which will be used for both riding round places like Cannock and also small flat country parks with the family from time to time.

I was looking for a double with bash and guide but im not sure why other than i think they look cool – im new to trail biking and not to sure on which crank/chainsets are best for what purposes.

Iv got a Kinesis XC120 frame with Sram X9 comps so far ( shifter and rear mech ), and only really wanna pay around the £150 mark new or second hand.

any1 got a preference?
    Cheers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would pot a triple on until you know your preference for gearing. I run double and bash 36 and 22 rings but others find very different combinations suit their riding style

logic1980
    Free Member

What sort of riding do you do – i come from road biking which is a 34/50 double so i was worried a triple would be wasted? 😕

wwaswas

Go for a triple unless you plan on whacking the crankset into logs and rocks at every opportunity.

scenetoomuch
    Free Member

SLX, looks decent fits your budget and comes with either double and bash or triple, the triple would come in handy for the flat country park riding.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

SLX, looks decent fits your budget and comes with either double and bash or triple, the triple would come in handy for the flat country park riding.

Exactly that

logic1980
    Free Member

thanks guys – was looking at the SLX but wasnt sure if it would work as well with the Sram stuff so was looking for a truv comparison!! so i can mix shimano and sram?

was also looking at the FSA gravity sets – again probably more on looks – lol what a girl ha

wwaswas

i can mix shimano and sram?

yes although shifters and rear mechs need to be same company as they have different cable pull. Evrything else 9 speed is compatable (chains,casettes, cranks).

scenetoomuch
    Free Member

Shimano rear shifters and rear mechs aren’t compatible with Sram rear shifters and mechs but you can use Sram shifters with Shimano front mechs (Sram front mechs are goping!).
    In terms of chain rings, cassettes and chains mixing Sram and Shimano is fine so long as it’s all the same speed. Most people go for Sram chains and Shimano cassettes. Truvativ chainsets tend to be a bit heavier I think and their BBs aren’t much cop.

khani
    Free Member

Worth noting you can cheaply and easily convert a triple slx to double but a double slx needs some butchering to convert to a triple,
    Cost me about £35 to convert a triple slx to a double with a chain device, eg, 36t deore middle ring, fsa bash and a blackspire stinger from crc, and I was left with a spare middle and outer ring, but the chainring tabs on a double slx need fileing down a bit to fit triple rings as well as buying the rings

julianwilson
    Free Member

+ whatever it is now for slx. Apparently there is only 20-somehting grams in wieght difference with more expensive xt. And it looks nicer if that’s a consideration for you.

logic1980
    Free Member

Seems like most think the SLX is best better for the money then? im suprised that there isnt more competition for shimano these days in this price point 🙁

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Crank Help!!!’ is closed to new replies.