Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Crank Brothers wheels………….any use
  • vondally
    Free Member

looking at the CRC for daughters new wheelset and they seemn a bargin but reviews are mixed some say they are brilliant others had issues with

rims denting
    freewheel collapsing
    seals
    rubbish spokes.

Any real world experiences from STW?

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve got Iodine 3’s and so far I’ve been very impressed. I managed to snap a spoke the other week, something I was worried would be a real problem, but I was able to ride home with barely any difference in the wheel and then had a new spoke supplied free under warranty which was very easy to fix.

They’re very robust, not overly heavy and take tubeless tyres very easily. Everything I want so far and if anything does go wrong with them, the importers seem very helpful in resolving stuff.

Hope that helps.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

that big gap between the spokes looks like too much of a trap for branches which would then stop the bike dead or trash the wheel…

vondally
    Free Member

thanks PAiney yes very helpful, iodines were the ones I was lloking at she is only 9st

TurnerGuy one review speaks of the gap and a ‘log’ trrapping in the wheels over the handle bars and brooken wrists………..

willber
    Free Member

I have 2012 Iodine 3’s – they are light, robust and look sweet as!! Im 15 stone and aint had an issue with ’em. The pawls shattered at one point but think this was my fault – i’d taken the freehub body off and it hadn’t reseated propery when i refitted it – this caused water to get in and rust the pawls. i was sent replacements FOC, easy to fit and been spot on since.

cant really fault them – but i would remove the freehub and make sure they are greased properly – and when refitting it, **** it hard with something soft to make sure the freehub seal engages properly

Del

solution looking for a problem IMO

vondally
    Free Member

tis the Crank Brothers Iodine 2 Wheelset 2012
    we are looking at

yetitony
    Free Member

I have a set of Iodines and used them constantly for 2 years.
    I had issues with the freewheel pawls as well but the LBS stated this was the old design and the new freewheel supplied has been fine.
    I do have to strip and re grease them a lot but think that is the nature of the design.
    The guy in the LBS had a set and got a branch through them and broke both his thumbs. Didn’t even break the spokes. They are all mountain wheels though so can take a beating.
    I do find them heavy though, think the rims are heavier than others. Recently swapped for Mavic Crossmax SL. I do prefer the Mavic but you cant get the offers!

Trimix
    Free Member

I spoke with a chap in Glentress who was riding with some – he said they were crap and wished he had not bought them.

Like all other Crank Bros stuff they seem to be made to look nice by chaps in sunny southern US of A who have never seen mud or understand real engineering.

Check out their latest dropper post, then ask youself if you would buy anything from a company who still makes products that bad.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/crank-brothers-absolutely-sh1te/page/2

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/seatpost/crank-brothers/joplin/prd_416757_141crx.aspx

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-810829.html

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

People breaking wrists and thumbs – crikey!!

how did he break the thumbs – was it a sudden forward motion against the grips ripping the thumbs back as they were under the bars?

A mechanic I knew had this happen on a motor bike – had to give up as a mechanic as it made such a mess of one of his hands that he couldn’t grip anymore 🙁

nacho
    Free Member

Had a mate buy some Iodines as they were on offer. First attempt at the black run at Afan and the rim dented. He said they were fast rolling but too soft for a proper trail wheel.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Crank Brothers wheels………….any use’ is closed to new replies.