Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Crank Brothers Mallets – Needle Roller Questions
  • craig_w
    Free Member

Hey, the needle rollers on my Mallets are dead. A couple of questions, firstly any tips on getting them out? I read the acid details (the mallet video on the we site is the old type with a bush) and it tells you to just flick it out with a screwdriver….my arse!!

Also, everything else is ok apart from the needle rollers, any idea on the type, I'll get some replacements from the local bearing suppliers.

Cheers

Craig

craig_w
    Free Member

Anyone? Really struggling to get the bloody bearings out 🙁

ojom
    Free Member

Bang a wee thin flat head screwdriver between the outer cage and the pedal body (hold the pedal in a vice or summink).

By doing this you will crack the race and then you will be able to get it out.

Grease the new ones outer surface before install so you don't need to do this next time.

Failing this method, get a drift and belt the bugger out from the other end.

craig_w
    Free Member

Thanks, any idea on what part number the bearing is?

ojom
    Free Member

You need the Mallet rebuild kit. Everything you need is in there.

There is no seperate part number available.

MD

coatesy
    Free Member

Not sure if they're the same pedals as yours but the ones I worked on yesterday had the number etched on the outer edge of the race, 1102 if memmory serves me well.

craig_w
    Free Member

Thanks, I've just measured it up and the INA HK 1012 :

http://medias.ina.de/medias/en!hp.ec.br/HK;bBd2hjOrgLWa?#HK

Seems to fit.

MD, do you work for crank brothers? Cause I know for certain the you can get the smaller bearing.

craig_w
    Free Member

Good news! I've removed the old needle rollers and have fitted all new bearings. For anyone else who wants the info, I removed the old outer races with a 1/4" BSP tap. Just run the tap down for a few threads, place the tap in a vice and then gently knock the peddle and hey presto!

The bearings I got to replace the knackered ones were HK 1012 and I also replaced the small ball bearings 686 2RS. They are all built up and now working again.

Craig

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Crank Brothers Mallets – Needle Roller Questions’ is closed to new replies.