Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Crank Brothers Iodine wheels
  • gonzy
    Free Member

a friend bought a bike yesterday that came specced with the above wheels…he’s not sure if he’s going to keep them or if he should sell them and get some Hope hubs built onto mavic/stans rims…
    any opinions on whether he should do this and if so what could he expect to get for the iodines?

thanks

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Heard all sorts of doom laden stories, but know of two people who have 3 sets between them with no issues yet. All 2009 to 2012 iirc. They are both girls right enough, so maybe don’t mash the pedals as hard as some gnarly/hamfooted dudes 😕

Northwind

Even assuming they hold together, which they might, they’re still pretty poor in terms of weight, width etc. Look nice though.

Jaz1979
    Free Member

they are a lot stronger than you think they are, the hub bearing seals are still a bit rubbish so you need to be careful when washing down after a mucky ride. Overall though, I really like mine – i’ve had them since 2011 and they have coped with loads (am no race whippet and i do like my wheels off the ground when i can).
    The biggest problem I have had, is getting spares to replace the spokes – advice there is to get a couple as spares, because if one does go you’ll have to wait a week or so to get some via the distributor.

gonzy
    Free Member

the bike was fine for the price he paid…just that it came with these wheels.
    i’ve told him to get rid of them and get some new wheels…but i dont know what these wheels are worth.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I thnk the issue are with the free hub which is not as sturdy as others, I also seem to remember them being very light indeed, yet strong due to the spokes being attached to the rim via flange and not a hole. I am not an engineer however.

Why don’t you run them till they break*, you might just be surprised how long they last.

*Other hubs break too, apparently.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

They’ve received a right slagging so it may be questionable whether your friend could sell them for a worthwhile price. Probably best to ride them till and when they break, then buy custom built replacements. He’s going to take a hit on replacements, it’s just a question of when it’ll be least painful to absorb it. Factory wheelsets are always a pain for spares, either due to cost and/or availability.

I doubt that they’re that light and/or strong. Generally fewer spokes means a heavier rim and higher spoke tension, so little benefit with greater vulnerability. There’s been several threads where a spoke has pulled through cracking the rim.

twohats
    Free Member
    boxfish
    Free Member

Careful stress analysis was required to evaluate how little the engineering team could change while still making existing spare parts useless

😀
    😀

kevin1911

If he does decide to sell them, I could be interested, especially if they’re orange ones 🙂 Mail in profile

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I got a set for free 3 years ago. They’ve been fine, not great. Seals and freehubs are a bit suspect but they’ve stayed true and the rims have never suffered major damage. I wouldn’t buy them with my own money, nor do I hate them enough to be bothered replacing them now I have them.

loddrik
    Free Member

How much is he after for them?

atlaz
    Free Member

They’ll explode and kill him. And you. And pretty much anyone you’ve ever met.

Or they’ll be totally fine like mine have been for 3 years.

gonzy
    Free Member

If he does decide to sell them, I could be interested, especially if they’re orange ones

they’re all black.

How much is he after for them?

i’m not sure how much he wants for them. i wanted to try and ascertain what they would be worth first, but i’ll be seeing him and the bike tonight or tomorrow so i’ll ask him.

loddrik
    Free Member

Gimme a shout. Black would be my colour of choice.

gonzy
    Free Member

loddrik – i went to see them on monday night. they look good and are in pretty good nick. there is a slight dent in the front rim and the rear has a slight buckle. they have been sent in to have those 2 issues sorted at the LBS. bearings are fine but should also be getting a service while at the shop.
    told him you may be interested and he said he will think about it and let me know.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Crank Brothers Iodine wheels’ is closed to new replies.