Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Crank Bros Pedal Advice
  • Tyranids
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m after a bit of advice for my 14 year old son on a couple of pedals in the Crank Bros range.

What he’s after is a pedal that can be ridden clipped in with cleated shoes that would also work ok as a normal pedal when not wearing cleated shoes (for when he just goes out on his bike after school with his mates).

I can see from the Crank Bros website that the Candy, Acid and Mallet pedal has more of a ‘platform’ on the pedal than the standard Egg Beater pedal and I wondered if anyone had any experience of using any of these without wearing cleated shoes ?

I know some of the other manufacturers specifically make dual purpose pedals but we really want to stick with the Crank Bros cleat system.

Thanks, Mark.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You’d be better buying a cheap pair of flatties, IMO. It’s only a minute to switch them over……..

markd
    Free Member

Hiya

The only one that is anywhere near suitable is a mallet.

the trouble is you will
    1. get limited grip in flats making them sketchy
    2. the wings will make them uncomfortable
    3. you may break the spring by placing pressure on the wings – they open up and push the spring beyond its design spec

no one makes a pedal that does what you want without major compromises i am afraid.

much more sense to buy some cheap flats and whip them out – 2 minute job to swop!

markd
    Free Member

*hi fives peter*

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yo, great minds think alike buddy!

😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

The platform CB pedals are not dual use – the cage is to support the SPD shoe but the raised engagement area makes them nigh on useless for riding in flat shoes.

As others have said, there is no real compromise. If he’s looking to use his bike for hacking about town also, you’d be better off just getting him a bike to hack about town on and save the nice MTB for the trails (I’m guess by the fact you’re willing to splash out on fancy pedals for your 14 yr old son that you’ve also splashed out on a nice bike for him)

Tyranids
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Based on what I’m reading I think I’ll go with two sets of pedals – a standard pedal for during the week after school set and a clip in set for when he goes mtb riding at the weekend. It’ll probably only mean switching them over once a week which is no big deal.

Thanks again, Mark.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Crank Bros Pedal Advice’ is closed to new replies.