Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Crank Bros Iodine 3 wheel….write-off?
  • exupmonkey
    Free Member

Well, three rides into the ownership of my new Mondraker Foxy XR (2013 model) and I’ve managed to put a dent in the rear rim :(. Its also out of true so I took it to my local wheel builder to see if it could be fixed but he was of the opinion that it was beyond economic repair as it doesn’t so much have a buckle but a ‘flat spot’. It still rides Ok but I supposed it would only be a matter of time before it gives up on me. So…a) does anyone know if indeed my wheel man is correct or is there a way of fixing a flat spot and who would be able to do it?….or b) anyone got an Iodine3 rear for sale? Cheers all.

deadkenny
    Free Member

If it’s new, try to warranty it. 2pure are fairly good at dealing with issues. Yes they can claim it’s abuse, but I’d certainly give it a go first claiming the wheel has failed in some way, especially as they’re supposed to be tough AM wheels.

What kind of dent are we talking about though? Rim ding? I’ve pulled them back in on my Iodine’s via this method – http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Fixing-Rim-Dents-2012.html

Wheel builder might not know how to deal with Iodine’s also as they’re not like a normal wheel. In theory they’re harder to get out of true, so maybe you’ve really trashed it with a heavy slam.

Maybe you can get 2pure to fix it for a fee as another option. Though CB policy seems to be to replace the whole wheel rather than fix.

Still, beyond economic repair given how much these wheels cost? !!

scotroutes

2Pure don’t deal with Crank Bros any more. It’s Extra.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

A photo would help greatly

deadkenny
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

Ah. Didn’t know that. Hmm. They any good?

exupmonkey
    Free Member

If it’s new, try to warranty it.

. Yes, its a new bike Kenny but unfortunately I’m not the original owner. It was an insurance replacement for the original owner when his previous bike got stolen, but, due to a change in his circumstances, he had to sell before he had even built it up, so I dont think I stand a chance warranty wise as i have no receipt (and neither does owner one).

A photo would help greatly

, yes Mark, I thought about a picture but the flat spot is only really noticeable when the wheel is spinning so there is no point really…..and posting pictures, or videos for that matter, are well beyond my capabilities with a PC!

Thanks for the quick replies, I think I’ll contact 2Pure and Extra, see what they say.

Speeder

deadkenny – Member
    scotroutes – Member
    Ah. Didn’t know that. Hmm. They any good?

They’ve taken on Crank Bros – they have to be. 😆

scotroutes

2pure will say “nothing to do with us fella“. There, I’ve saved you the price of a phone call.

exupmonkey
    Free Member

2pure will say “nothing to do with us fella”. There, I’ve saved you the price of a phone call.

. Excellent thanks….every penny a prisoner! 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Crank Bros Iodine 3 wheel….write-off?’ is closed to new replies.