Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Crank Bros Headsdets – any good?
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

I need a low stack headset and looking at Crank Bros Iodine or Cobalt.

Anybody else used either and were/are they any good in comparison to Hope or King?

Cheers

Ken

nuke

I've got one but I'm sorry to say it's not exactly been reliable…lower bearings are rough after only about 8 months sporadic use and it developed surface rust on both the lower and upper casing. Over the winter when sat after a ride, I'd go in and it would feel seized until you gave the bars a good twist. If you have to get one, buy new so you've got the receipt…you'll need it and 2Pure are great for warranties.

Personally I'd recommend the Orbit XLII which is only about 5mm higher

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Friend of mine has one, and has had some bother, had to send it back as it had rusted badly after 6 months or so. Would appear that the bottom seal didn't fit properly, although fair play to the importer they have sorted him out with a loner, although he's been waiting months now to get his own (more expensive) model back.

ken_shields
    Free Member

bugger…looks like I'll have to get a new steerer fitted to my forks as I try my hardest to avoid unreliability issues

Thanks guys

nuke

What's your steerer length and what's your headtube length? There's other options like a low stack height stem (e.g. some FSA stems are 35mm unlike the usual 40mm).

As some with a set of Revs with a 170mm steerer I've done a far bit to find ways of continuing to use them on frames with longer HTs.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Most low stack stems are sub 50mm which is too short for me.

I think it's about £60 for a new steerer fitted by Windwave so comparable with a decent headset (and that way I get to use my red Hope headset)

heihei

As above, they rust. Also quite tough to fit, even with a proper headset press. 2pure are great on the warantee side though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Crank Bros Headsdets – any good?’ is closed to new replies.