Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • crank bros candy pedals – is this normal?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

my left hand side pedal, seems to just spin once or twice then comes to a stop, the right hand pedal spins stupidly fast and makes a noise? which one is correct as one has to be at fault?

also could this be the cause of any annoying click im getting if the bearings are gone?

qwerty
    Free Member

You probably need a service kit as both sides sound dodgy. I always have one side looser than the other on mine.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thats the thing thought other than the right one spinning free for ages, there is no play? they are not wobbly or loose, just ones spins fast and the other, ermmmm doesnt….

K

Just give the bearings a grease if there is no play.

br
    Free Member

Which Candy, as the 1 is a bit ‘agricultural’ vs the 3’s I now have.

mtbfix

Assuming that you have the older style plastic jobs I’d suggest you bung some grease in there. The free spinning one is spinning free as it has no lube in it. The slow spinner sounds closer to normal but grease it anyway.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Nothing is normal with crank brothers!!

The slower spinning one seems about right.

I like them though. Take them both apart, clean, regrease and assemble. That should sort it.

Crank Brothers are great for fiddlers.

PaulD
    Free Member

A guy in the USA on ebay is doing service kits for these at excellent prices…I think £8 for 4 pedals (4 bearings and 4 bushes).
    Bearings are without rubber seals, but the pedals are sealed so should not be a further problem.
    I fill mine with grease using the screw-in port regularly and they seem to be OK.

PaulD

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

they are the newer candy 2’s about 60ish quid i think they were….

cool sounds like the mental spinning one is a bit lube free then, ill strip and regrease then! hopefully the culprit of a nasty clicking ive acquired whilst climbing 🙁

what tools do i need to undo them? just a flat blade screwdriver and a 6mm allen key?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

screw in port? somebody said about this but i cant remember getting anything other than cleats with my pedals

PaulD
    Free Member

OW,

I have a couple of these and only really need one, so email me with a sensible offer and I will post you one.
    These are good for any CB pedal with a screw-in end cap…It substitutes for it and you use your grease gun nozzle in the hole and fill ‘er up.

paul.r.davisAThotmail.co.uk

adilc123
    Free Member

They just fall apart after a while anyway.

Adil.

wwaswas

screw in port?

they stopped doing these as the grease pressure just blows the seals off the bearings.

much better to dismantle pedal and lift the bearign seals off with a knife blade and clean out/regrease – it really doesn’t take long.

PaulD
    Free Member

w,

Thank you for the update on why I have grease ports with some pedals and not others.
    The guy on ebay selling the bearings without rubber seals is on to something after all…lower drag and no blown seals.

My offer to sell my surplus port still holds…first emailer with a sensible offer gets it.

PaulD

carlos
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    screw in port?

they stopped doing these as the grease pressure just blows the seals off the bearings.

much better to dismantle pedal, it really doesn’t take long.

Was what I was told by 2Pure when I asked about one for my first set.

Dave, you’ll also need a 8mm socket

Here’s a how to vid (just select your pedal) http://www.crankbrothers.com/support/video_rebuilding_candy.php

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘crank bros candy pedals – is this normal?’ is closed to new replies.