Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Crank bros. Candy 1's any good? or go for the candy 2's?
  • jackal
    Free Member

Thinking of going clipped in again on the mtb and was considering some crank bros. candy’s (used egg beaters for a few years). Are the cheapo candy 1’s any good or is it worth spending another £20-£30 for the the candy 2’s?
    I know the cheaper ones have a resin body and that doesn’t really bother me, its more the bearings and axles I was thinking?

Cheers

😀

carlos
    Free Member

Put your money towards either Time or Shimano

I had CB Mallets for a couple of yrs but got pee’d of having to rebuild them every 6 months, moved to Time and almost 12 months later still smooth and issue free

bob_summers

I’ve had candy 1’s for a while, over a year at least, they’ve done time off road and are currently on my fixed commuter. Time will tell if they’re as reliable as my original Candy SLs (bought when first out, still going now with zero problems and I haven’t even regreased them!) but I like them so far.

LMT
    Free Member

Running candy 1’s on my road and MTB for over a year so far no maintenance needed, still as good as new and also lighter than the other candys 2/3.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had the new candies for about 4 months regular use, then they fell to bits.

Old ones lasted about a year.

Shimano 520 lasted over a year so far and cost 25% of any of the CB pedals, so wont be going back!

br
    Free Member

Running candy 1’s on my road and MTB for over a year so far no maintenance needed, still as good as new and also lighter than the other candys 2/3.

After running 3 sets over 2 years I’ve given up on them, and gone back to SPD’s – mainly as when the last set failed I was out riding, so bought new pedals from the nearest shop…

Yes, Candy 1’s are light but they also just fail – without warning, and the body comes away from the axle.

scotroutes

Personally, I prefer the 3s as they have bearings at both ends and no bushes. Having said that, the 2s I have on my El Mariachi are well over 12 months old and have seen a fair bit of (ab)use in that time with no issues.

scaled
    Free Member

I had 3 sets and got sick of rebuilding a set of pedals every 8 weeks or so.

If you didn’t do the rebuild on time you always ran the risk of the pedal just falling apart when the bearings collapsed on a ride (this happened 3 times with 2 sets of pedals to a mate less studious with the maintenance)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Crank bros. Candy 1's any good? or go for the candy 2's?’ is closed to new replies.