Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cranham Riders, roofing tack alert.
  • tang
    Free Member

slipped out for a beautiful summers evening ride, cruising out the end of the shrine, hissssss and tick tick of something in the rubber. lo and behold a large new roofing tack in the wheel. i checked the top of the shrine, as we had found them before there, but none so its possible theyve been scattered further down, had a look but didnt find any. not to say they aint there. this coupled with sats ride spent clearing blockage after blockage esp broken, bent saplings. bowens pissing me off a bit now. btw im still trying to arrange this meet with wardens etc and will post when something comes together.

Goz
    Free Member

Tyres/tubes can be repaired…what about wild animals?….people walking dogs?..not so nice!
    Was up in Cranham on mon, spent time clearing branches and logs laid lengthways on Teachers.Did see a curious chap walking in the woods with a news paper dilivery bag over his shoulder….strangely enough he looked like JB…

tang
    Free Member

exactly, i take my kids walking there and friends ride horses also. i cleared teachers on sat and so did cotic andy. hes busy or theres more than one at it.

Goz
    Free Member

My mat Dobiejessmo was up there today also clearing branches, also said that the jump at the bottom of teachers had been tampered with…

Dimmadan
    Free Member

tang, is there a need for more signs?

Goz
    Free Member

No more signs, we dont want to bring to much attention to the issue…are they not private woods?

mrmo
    Free Member

Goz, I think that they are private, but i get the impression that they are common land. Plenty of permissive bridleways etc. Even the signs from English Nature further down don't talk about access restrictions but usage restrictions.

I would agree that signs won't help. I know this sounds cruel but what is needed is for someone to hurt their dog and start kicking off in the Citizen and Echo, get the police involved, but keep cyclists out of it. It has to be a horse/ horse rider or dog that gets hurt.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Funny I was thinking how things seemed to have calmed down recentyl up there! I think it's just a case of being vigilant and theese tossers will eventually lose interest, I would however probably look at things slightly different if one of my hounds injured themselves because of roofing tacks! I wonder if the teachers "damage" is anything to do with people staying at the campsite?

MrAgreeable

The woods seem to be privately owned, and were up for sale last year.

http://www.struttandparker.com/html2/assets/pdfs/CRN080068.PDF

Edit: the sale description says it was leased to Natural England (English Nature) in 2004.

Good luck sorting this out – I rode in that neck of the woods for the first time recently, and it's lovely.

GSter
    Free Member

The woods are up for sale, but it is still Common Land

MrAgreeable

You're absolutely right, it is Access Land.

GSter
    Free Member

I like this Open Access Land business…have a look below:

"The national restrictions and local restriction powers only apply to CROW access rights. (meaning that they COULD stop access (i.e. by building a huge big wall or wire fence, but as this is open /commom land with other access…it ai't going to happen!), but in the current location and situation this would not be possible.

They do not affect what people already do: by local tradition or tolerance; – A precedent is already set with dog walkers, horse riders, runners, snowboarders ;), mountain bikers etc…….they can not stop what is already ongoing and has a history!

with express permission; on public rights of way such as footpaths and bridleways; or under any other existing rights or arrangements that apply locally. Your ‘access authority’ (the national park or highway authority) has special powers to help you manage the new access rights.

Job done, lets find JB and string him up form which favourite tree he choses !

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Hi all was up their yesterday morning going down teachers right at the bottom was 4 big branches across track,cleared them then turn left for the jump and noticed the face of jump has been dug out so you could not roll it and may go over the bars NICE!!!!!!!!!!.Also how long has the jumps by the shrine mound been messed about with the table top type one has been dug out too and the next is shorter in height?The rest was ok wall/racetrack/scout field/cranham corner and the portway ones.The new track at the portway needs using hardly see it through the small bomb hole.Dont want to upset anybody but have never punctured in Cranham first time for everythink.

tang
    Free Member

'what is ongoing and has a history' started on a bmx in 1984, 25yrs! well done gster, which NE pdf was that from? might have to print,laminate….and wave in front of jimmy if i find him. also it will be good to have all this to hand in the back pack.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Was headeD up that way with the dogs on my SS about 20 mins ago but managed to crash and now I can hardly walk and I have a nice new hole the size of a 20p in the front of my shin! I blame JB 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I was chatting to someone about this the other night and saying that the person who is doing this is probably doing it as he sees riders as a nuisance but he is becoming a nuisance himself, to everyone!!!

tang
    Free Member

bad news ian, was gonna call as im out at 6 (no shrine tonight!) drop me a line when your good. also, bumped into cotic andy last night, talk of a FOD ride in a couple of weeks guided by him. interested?

lookmanohands
    Free Member

How about this…..http://www.openaccess.naturalengland.org.uk/wps/portal/oasys/maps/MapSearch/!ut/p/c5/dY7LDkNQFEU_6RyqXENc4SpXqdZjIpqWeBuIhq-vpmN7D1ey14YM9g7FUlfFXI9D0UECmZy7Fsq2aKDqR6GJDJlPXYcJPkoQQ4JSfmvI5K1z4m7GEjVbgJyyD2_YNkcBeiq9vh7hXddoV66dCQ5kVTc-9_X455Nz2XKJoPuoYsAJMqJIomZfEE_nP8eDaAjcHvs3pJAphy8tCSJIdZj6pW1LGnwBjUmFog!!/dl3/d3/L0lDU0dZcHBpZ3BSQ2dwUkNncFJDZ3BSQS9ZSVVJQUFJSU1DRUFDQUFDQ0VBQ0FBS0dDRUFDQUlLT0lHQU9CSkJKRk1FQUNBQk5ETkRGTkxITEhGTFBBdkFsUEEhIS80QzFiOFVBcE1rRW9oU1pNSlFpa3lVU2pGSms0bEJJIS83X0xHMDZIMkMwOU9UUkUwSTBJT0RMSkkxT0c0LyUwanNwJTBPcGVuQWNjZXNzJTBfcmx2aWQuanNwL29hVmlld0lkL09BMDA0L19ydmlwLyUwanNwJTBPcGVuQWNjZXNzJTBNYXBTZWFyY2hSZXN1bHRzLmpzcC9fcmFwL3BjX01hcFNlYXJjaFJlc3VsdHNQYWdlQ29kZS5kb1JlcXVlc3RMaW5rQWN0aW9uL3NlbGVjdGVkUm93TnVtLzU!/#7_LG06H2C09OTRE0I0IODLJI1OG4

long link but there is our rights of way boyz (& girlz)

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Will do tang, got a 12 hour in a few weeks, but would be goood to get a trip to the FoD!

GSter
    Free Member

Tang: if you click on Mr Agreeable's link and type in a local (Painswick) postcode you get a local map detailing the Open Access land.

If you click on the link below the map you get the restrictions and access rights for the land (as per link below)

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/enjoying/places/openaccess/restrictions.aspx

tang
    Free Member

thanks gster.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cranham Riders, roofing tack alert.’ is closed to new replies.