Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Cranham conditions- Marvelous!
  • DarrenH

Just a quick shout out to all the cranham/birdlip riders.
    Went for a quick spin around cranham woods this afternoon and the conditions were perfect.
    Fingers crossed it stays dry and anyone going up tomorrow, enjoy!
    See you up there 😀

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Darren, bit of moisture in the air at the moment.

Looks like a wet one tomorrow from about midday.

But the trail is sooooooooooooooo dry it should hold up for a week or so of being battered by the rain and still ride well.

DarrenH

Early start tomorrow then Dan,
    retreat to the pub in the afternoon (I wish!) 🙂

Dimmadan
    Free Member

The trails were great tonight in the dark. New P7 torch really works well round the shrine.

shaunthesheep
    Free Member

Was out Sunday morning for an early solo ride – last nights drizzle made the trails perfectly grippy. You can really sense the approach of autumn up there. On Pete's downhill (main downhill track behind the William) all the leaves have been stripped by Saturdays winds and the rooty drop near the end of the trail on the Portway road is strangly open and not under cover. Just love this time of year…need to get out and make the most of it while we can.

STS 🙂

DarrenH

Went up yesterday morning (couldn't manage today due to hangover!).
    Saw quite a few groups around, including the bigfoot guys.
    I keep finding different trails, wish I knew their names!
    2 to 10 shift next week, so hopefully I'll be able to get up a few mornings.

Goz
    Free Member

Had a bit of a blast round Cranham, with LMNH, coticandy+ euroboy…lovely dry, fast conditions…did all the usual stuff and finished off with the long drop down to the pheasant pens….and then the long and steep walk back to the race track….

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Pheasant pens? Are they at the bottom of the abandoned downhill track?

Heading up the hill now!

tang
    Free Member

missed coticandys birthday ride in the forest injury+flu has seen me off bike pretty much all sept, so jealous of you all. im steppin out on thurs tho….

Dimmadan
    Free Member

The light drizzle has made it nice and grippy up there. Hi to the guys let to the rider on the Cube

Goz
    Free Member

Abandoned, dont think so…..its running in nicely.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

You know the one I mean, the one that just ends in the middle of the wood.
    Didn't realise they were pens down there.

DarrenH

Is that the really twisty trail that comes to a dead end in the really dense fir trees?
    I've found that one…

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

"On Pete's downhill (main downhill track behind the William) all the leaves have been stripped by Saturdays winds and the rooty drop near the end of the trail on the Portway road is strangly open and not under cover"

more detail on this please? Is this one of the tracks up in popes wood?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Is Pete's the one on the far left?

Word of warning to Pope woods riders.

I have been up there at 6pm the last 2 nights and have encountered a group of lads at the top of the drop in to the two jumps at the start of the downhill. There was about 10 on Sunday and 4 last night and they appear to be taking it in turns to ride a shoddy old moped round the main trails and up the hill from the car park at the bottom of the downhill track.

Luckily I was going in the other direction so the one saw my light and avoided me but they are riding with no lights and are of the age that make them a little intimdating.

Every where else is clear, but I guess this lot will be up there every evening for the next week until the novelty wears off.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Dimmadan pheasant pens are at the end of the trail of the racetrack.The new one they put in with the steep drop then changed it and you ran further along then down and up,then a new bit cut in down to final section.Wont be fast anymore not after the rain today.Was up their earlier walking the dog getting yuk quick.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Still not 100% sure where you mean. But not to worry.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Anyone go up last night? Good amount of rain.

DarrenH

Haven't had a chance yet this week Dan, maybe tomorrow morning.
    If you manage a ride up there before, keep us posted?
    Hopefully it won't turn into a complete mudbath too quickly.
    Are there any alternative trails locally that don't get as muddy? (leckhampton or standish?)
    Haven't tried either yet.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Went for a run up there yesterday early evening (right in the middle of the torrential downpour) the roots were a bit slippy but still not much in the way of mud! Hopefully get out this afternoon about 3 ish to see how shite it is!

DarrenH

Went up this morning, a few slippy wet roots and leaves but it was great going.
    Back to this trail that leads to the pheasant pens?
    Is it about three quarters of the way down the racetrack on the right?
    It leads down to a gravel track/bridleway, cross straight over this and over a wall to get onto this trail.
    I didn't have time to give it a go today but will be back up saturday morning.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Darren, that is the new downhill run that doesn't seem to get used much. The wall is on the Cotswold Way path and once over that you do come to fenced pens but didn't realise they were pheasant ones.

DarrenH

Maybe Dan, hopefully i'll find out tomorrow.
    Don't like the idea of a slog back up from the dead end though…

Dimmadan
    Free Member

It's good for your calfs! 8)

DarrenH

Did the downhill run to the pheasant pens this morning, bloody brilliant. 😀
    Wish i had more time/ energy etc and i'd have a go at finishing it off…

Dimmadan
    Free Member

The finish is the best bit, really steep with two super fast berms.

DarrenH

There's a similar track on the opposite side of the woods,
    not such a steep downhill,
    very good but finishes in a dead end again.
    Wish I could remember how I found the start of it again now.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Cranham conditions- Marvelous!’ is closed to new replies.