Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cranfield University Part time Anyone?
  • anez247
    Free Member

Hello. Has anybody done an MSc program part time at Cranfield Uni. Will like to get some info on how it was like combining it with work.

I rang up their admission’s office but nothing susbtantial in terms of Class time table

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Not sure it’s helpful but I had a boss who was well proud he went to Cranfield. He was a prick. It would be enough to put me off Cranfield to be honest.

marko75
    Free Member

I used to teach there (also did an MSc and PhD there)…. what type of courses are you looking for? Generally, it tends to be that its done over 2 years instead of one and rather that a group project you do something like a literature search or project for your company.

Like most things its tricky doing things part time and depends on the flexibility of your work. Good luck!

Hope this helps

ampthill

My sister runs an MEng there which is all part time. It’s intended for people in the industry who I think get time off to attend

I think you have to find contact details for academic staff on the course so you can get questions answered properly. To be honest the harder it is to communicate with the teaching staff on the course the more worried I’d be

In general a good institution from what I’ve heard

anez247
    Free Member

Thanks Guys for your contributions. I plan to start my MSc in Subsea Engineering this October but the information am getting is that its 2 years program which requires me to cover 8 modules.

first year: 4 weeks of intensive classes to cover the first 4 modules. then a dissertation.

Second Year: 4 weeks of intensive classes to cover the remaining 4 modules then a final Thesis.

My question is how do people be able to be off from work for 4 straight weeks and still be employed. Cause I thought the essence of the part time was to be flexible for students.

ampthill

Well on my sisters course they are almost all funded by their employer and released. The course is part of BAEs (I think) training program

Maybe this course is the same. Companies in the sector release people?

I’d e-mail a few academics off the list and see what they say is normal

http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/courses/masters/offshore-ocean-technology-with-subsea-engineering.html

natrix
    Free Member

I used to teach there (also did an MSc and PhD there)…

Small world, I also used to teach there (also did an MPhil and PhD there)…

jonm81

I am just in the final days of finishing the subsea engineering course part time at Cranfield.

Some things to note:
    1. The course is not as technical as I expected, it is more an overview of the whole of the subsea engineering without going indepth
    2. The course management is shockingly bad (although the content is ok)
    3. Lots of the lecturers are from industry which is great but some are more interested in telling war stories than teaching
    4. There is a lot of sales pitches for products from industry
    5. Expect to be one of a very few europeans on the course (this is great for experiencing other cultures but be warned that those from Africa will constantly be begging for extra marks and constantly complaining that the course is too difficult. They will try and coerce you into agreeing with them. Expect many emails from them about this)
    6. The course is not too difficult
    7. Finally, the best part about being part time is that the deadlines do not apply to you. They will not tell you this but you get to tell them when you want to submit assignment!

If you would like any more info on the course give me a shout.

Ps. 8. As a part timer you get as much free food (snacks and lunches) and costa coffees as you want!!!

Pps. you do not need to do 4 weeks straight. You get to pick your modules and can do them in any order. I alternated 1 week work, 1 week Cranfield across 8 weeks following the exact same 2 year plan as you. Be prepared to loose Christmases for for 2 years as the exams are just after christmas and can start as early as 3rd January.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Finally, the best part about being part time is that the deadlines do not apply to you. They will not tell you this but you get to tell them when you want to submit assignment!

:mrgreen:

footflaps

Not sure it’s helpful but I had a boss who was well proud he went to Cranfield. He was a prick. It would be enough to put me off Cranfield to be honest.

Likewise our last CEO swore by them and he was was the biggest C-word on the face of the planet….

andytherocketeer

strange scheduling for part time masters.
    was going to go to cranfield, but chose surrey in the end.
    they arrange it as 2 major modules, with the lecture days on Mon+Fri for modules A+B. then reverse the days the following year, so part timers mostly do just Monday or Friday day release for 2 years, and a bigger project in lieu of lab work over 2 years.
    full timers do both mon+fri in one year, plus labwork and project work tues/thurs (and wednesday is tutorial plus sports day).

can’t see how you can optimise that much further, but i guess all courses, faculties, differ.

anez247
    Free Member

Thank you all for the contributions, I had initially planned to study MSc Part time (Subsea) at Cranfield but after receiving the class timetable I can help but think that something is vitally wrong cos there is no realistic flexibility to call it Part time.

As a Part time you are expected to attend letures from Monday till friday for around 4 weeks for your first 4 modules, I have just started working as a Proj. Eng for a Subsea Co for just a month and wouldnt be able to get the necessary time off to do this this year 🙁 its really saddening for me but I plan to carry it out next academic year for my chartership process ( fingers crossed)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cranfield University Part time Anyone?’ is closed to new replies.