Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Crampy feet from flat pedals
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Never had this when I had SPDs, but on longer descents I’m starting to get achy/crampy feet on flats. Only using skate shoes, not bike specific shoes, so dunno if that’s a factor, but obviously much less stiff than SPD shoes. No issues when going uphill, just down. Maybe it’s poor foot positioning? Suggestions welcome.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

stiffness i reckon yes, your feet bend down over the back of flats with soft shoes, which isn’t great. not good for your achilles tendon either i find

jonnyrockymountain

Go back to spd’s

wiggles
    Free Member

I get the same thing on more technical/twisty stuff where my weight is shifting side to side and often mostly on one foot. Going to try some stiff soles flat shoes first, 5 10 impacts or similar.

IainAhh
    Free Member

Bike flat shoes such as 5.10 etc have quite a stiff sole.
    Also don’t do them up too tight, esp over the top of your foot.
    Change / vary your foot position on the flats. Might help.

slimporcini
    Free Member

Funny this. I used to suffer with the same problem, been running SPDs since Sunday and the problem has gone. I was using cheapo Airwalk trainers from sports direct, no sole support what so ever.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks

Onzadog
    Free Member

Do you ride ball over the spindle or midfoot? Try midfoot if you don’t already. I do all my flat pedal riding further forward than my spud position. I find it gives better control.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ball for pedalling, midfoot for standing, I reckon. The pedalling gives me no bother.

fibre
    Free Member

Shimano AM41, got rid of that issue for me straight away (on rougher descents). Very long very rocky descents in Spain (think constant rock garden), my feet would have fallen off with my old Vans, no problems with the AM41s. Stiffer, very grippy, laces out the way and reasonable coverage on wet winter rides.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes, my wife has those and she has no such problems

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You need stiff soles. End of.

breadcrumb

^ This.

Five:10s are the obvious choice, but a decent pair of stiff soled skate shoes work well too. Nike 6.0 and some DCs have worked for me so far.

yoshimi

Laces too tight?

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Your shoes are too soft, I’ve had the same issue and proper flat pedal shoes fix it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Don’t think they’re especially tight. They are very flexy so that might be the first thing to try.

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah its the soles being too soft I reckon. Vans dont stay stiff for very long. The best shoes I’ve had for riding were some Orchid cobra bmx shoes. Dont seem to make em any more though 🙁

thegreatape
    Free Member

Some AM41’s are coming. I’ll be back if that doesn’t work.

Northwind

Could be foot positioning, lots of people ride with their feet far back on the pedal which puts a lot of stress on the foot. Especially people used to SPDs. Ideal foot positions tend to be different between the two.

thegreatape
    Free Member

A change of shoes has made a significant difference. Chenquieh.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Crampy feet from flat pedals’ is closed to new replies.