• This topic has 71 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Cr&p Forum Format? – have your say
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why do we need PMs? What’s wrong with email? Same thing innit?
    I use a forum that has PMs. Every time I get one I have to open the email notification, then go to the message page, then open the message. Emails cut 2 of those steps out FFS!

ski
    Free Member

Like the new link to the last page of a post 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

needs a space between the numbers page 234 > 2….3….4

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Like the new link to the last page of a post

Yes, I’ve just seen that, too
    🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Everything is nice & clear, easy to use and read. You can ask any questions, buy stuff, sell stuff and all for free.

However, my toast caught fire in the toaster this morning, so can the guys at Singletrack sort that out as it’s obviously the fault of the new website.

My coffee tastes charcoal filtered now 😥

toons
    Free Member

I would like email notification please.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

use several forum (fora, forii – collective noun please) for work and other “interests” – like this the best – quick clean simple. Leave it alone. 😀

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I like it as it is. Nice and simple. The worst forum is MTBR – a thousand different classifications, avatars, signatures, and the stupid quote thing means that half is each page is people quoting people quoting people. Absolute rubbish!

Kuco

My only complaint is external links don’t open in a new window. For ever forgetting and closing the damn things then having to re-open. No hardship but just annoying.

uplink
    Free Member

My only complaint is external links don’t open in a new window. For ever forgetting and closing the damn things then having to re-open. No hardship but just annoying.

Have you tried right clicking?

Kuco

Yes but when your use to going onto other sites and just clicking the link it’s easy to forget.

thomthumb
    Free Member

easy to forget.

stw can’t help your stupidity! 😉

uplink
    Free Member

Yes but when your use to going onto other sites and just clicking the link it’s easy to forget.

OK then – if you have Firefox 3 [maybe other versions]

Tools > Options > Tabs > Tab Mix Plus Options

Then set Force to Open in New Tab to Links to Other Sites

It will then open new tab when you click a link

Kuco

Nope I can mange that by myself.

Surfr
    Free Member

Can’t quote others easilly in a thread

i seem to be doing it ok
    [/quote]

^ I’m not. Nested quoting should be possible. Most forum software would parse

tags and replace with a div with appropriate css styling. I’m guessing thr parser struggles with nested bbcode of any form.

Also quotes are pretty useless without the original author information attached.

If we could do:

blah blah blah singlespeed blah blah
    niche!
    [/quote]
    [/code]

And have it render half decently, I’d be happy.

mrsflash
    Free Member

email notifications, no private messages so far as I can see, and no quote button

I just used the quote button. It’s hardly that much of a ptia to have to highlight first is it? Are you really that lazy?

No email notifications is a good thing.

PMs my be useful, but I’m not overly bothered.

2tyred

I think its great exactly as it is, and that’s down to the simplicity of the format and the lucky fact there are so many great members.

Bike/Chat/Classifieds is enough splitting I reckon – any more and it starts getting a bit anal. I loathe forums with avatars, signatures, private messages and all that. Just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should.

Gilles

we were discussing the forum on last night’s ride and some of the points in my OP were those of others, and most seemed in agreement.

You are riding with the wrong people.

Joxster
    Free Member

A button at the bottom of the page to return to the forum index, please.

Rich
    Free Member

Surfr – Member

Also quotes are pretty useless without the original author information attached.

If we could do:

quote=user1 blah blah blah singlespeed blah blah
    quote=user2 niche!

And have it render half decently, I’d be happy.

I usually quote the poster’s name already, as above.

votchy
    Free Member

gilles –

You are riding with the wrong people.

Watch it!!!!

yoshimi

@bonesetter – all of your ideas “DO NOT WANT!”

the last thing this forum needs is subdivisions…….go and play on bikeradar or something if thats what you want

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nested quoting should be possible

But that looks really REALLY messy, very very quickly, and the point soon gets lost…..

richpips
    Free Member

I think the forum is better than before, plus it’s good to see that useful bits are being added all the time.

Can’t quote others easilly in a thread

Your joking aren’t you?

No email notification

Use the RSS feed.

No pic upload facility or STW forum pic storage

Why should STW have to pay to host your pics? Use flickr, photobucket etc etc.

0/10

yoshimi

Wookster

No subdivisions ever ever ever in the bike bit. Took a while for this to become normal but I like it now. Please dont change it!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and the point soon gets lost…..

there has to be a point ???

I usually quote the poster’s name already, as above.

but surely a reply is addressed to what was said rather than specifically whoever it was that said it ?

snowslave

Can we have a sub-division for comments about the forum? In it’s own special area. White text on white background preferably

markd
    Free Member

point 1 – its free so stop whining
    point 2 – its free so stop whining
    point 3 – etc

finbar
    Free Member

I hate a lot of other forums. Avatars, signatures, animated smileys, post counts, joining dates, locations, all that stuff is just ****.

Word. This place is nicely simple. And as for subdivisions of the classifieds, i bet loads less people would notice wtd ads if they were in a separate bit.

poly
    Free Member

probably the most irritating thing is not having a “show new posts only” option (for logged in users). Or jump to 1st new post link. Wading through the waffle on here to get to page 3 of a discussion to pick up where you left off is pretty inefficient.

PM’s not essential. Email notification not essential – but might be nice especially for threads you have started. The current system only works if you check it very regularly, and/or read every thread. Otherwise there are several pages of new threads. Which just get skimmed.

If I was the admin here – I think some photohosting would be the simplest/most important upgrade though; unless off site hosting is intentional to make it just inconvenient enough that people have to think about it. If I want to post a pic – I want to do it with one click not open a different window, upload it, copy the address over etc.

I’m not a fan of avatars, signatures etc – but those are not pre-requisites of a new format – they can all be turned off. I moderate another forum (vBulletin based) which has the default option almost as clean and simple as this – but which allows members to turn on showing avatars, etc for themselves if they wish – a privildge that they are required to pay for – which funds the site hosting etc.

I would say opening external links over the top of the current window is annoying and is not a great idea – as it makes people navigate away from the site. OK I can right click if I remember that this site is different from the 20 other sites I use from time to time.

Not refering to the original source of the quote is irritating – I often see a quote and want to see who said it, in what context, and if say it was a reply to something else. IMHO quote tools should include an automatic citation back to the source.

All the its free so who cares stuff? Just because something is free doesn’t mean there can’t be room for improvement. Its not totally free – I am being continually advertised to and buy STW so feel I am entitled to express an opinion on a forum intended to foster discussion. Most internet fora are free, at least for the basics, so why should it not be reasonable to suggest features that people believe add to the user experience.

Drac

If I was the admin here – I think some photohosting would be the simplest/most important upgrade though; unless off site hosting is intentional to make it just inconvenient enough that people have to think about it. If I want to post a pic – I want to do it with one click not open a different window, upload it, copy the address over etc.

It’s got nothing to with being simple, chances are it’s there but disabled it costs more money to host images cost they can do without.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Cr&p Forum Format? – have your say’ is closed to new replies.