Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cramping fingers/hands whilst descending
  • PGreen
    Free Member

I’ve had this issue a while, but only comes on after a significant amount of descending- for example usually at the end of a final descent at a Welsh trail centre.

Basically my index fingers are one finger braking and the other 3 fingers are around the bars- these start to cramp up after a while which is pretty painful. I know this is expected in the Alps(I’ve experienced it there too!) but in Wales its seems none of the other riders I ride with have it?

I’ve swapped thing around in my set up recently(majorly!)

New Gloves and a new bike (full sus compared to previous HT) which has different brakes which are run closer to bars, and have different grips too)

I know there are the Ergon grips but I think they are for nerves in palm of hand…any other solutions? A mate recommended doing free weights to strengthen grip, but I’m not sure. Maybe fatter/thinner grips(I have XL glove size-so quite large hands)

I know I could either deal with/get used to it or Rule 5 each time I go to Wales but it sort of ruins a trail when you can’t go 100% because my hands hurt. I’m a frequent rider-and longer ride times are usual than when I am in wales.

rugbydick

Sounds like death grip.

Loosen your grip on the bars (hold on just enough so that you don’t let go).

br
    Free Member

Carbon bars will put less ‘vibes’ through.

PGreen
    Free Member

Tried loosening my grip last time(as I thought that might be the issue,maybe I did it too late and my hands were knackered by then)- Guess will try harder next time!

mintimperial

I used to get agonising pain in my fingers whilst descending rough trails, just as you describe. I started using one of these to strengthen my forearms, and it stopped happening. I use the green one, easiest, cos I’m not trying to haul an MX bike about. I do have to use it regularly (two or three sets of 60 or 70 on each arm two or three times a week) or it starts coming back.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

angle of the brake levers / bars? Try rotate both back towards you a bit or just try experimenting with them

But death grip is the most likely – maybe to harsh a fork stetting / too much compression / too hard a spring?

Crag
    Free Member

Roll your brake levers back?

baznav73
    Free Member

I get the same thing if i havn’t been to wales for a while, the more you do it the less it affects you.

honourablegeorge

Line your brake levers up so that your hand/arm/wrist is in a straight line. I’d recommend the OID Troy Lee grips

PGreen
    Free Member

Thanks Chaps, plenty to think about!

thomthumb
    Free Member

Line your brake levers up so that your hand/arm/wrist is in a straight line

anything but this ime

oreetmon
    Free Member

try skinny grips (nukeproof worked for me) and could probably benefit from building fore arm muscles up if your not doing such descents on a regular route.

honourablegeorge

thomthumb – Member
    Line your brake levers up so that your hand/arm/wrist is in a straight line
    anything but this ime

Everyone’s different, I guess – I used suffer until I did that.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Most likely gripping to hard or you are leaning over on the bars too much, more rise on bars, seat forward a bit so you unweight etc.

Trick I was taught mx’ing was to take hands off in turn and quickly stretch out and clench/unclench rapidly to get the blood pumping to ease the cramp. Obviously this is easier said than done.

andyl
    Free Member

death grip or possibly carpel tunnel problems.

Possible things to try:

Try adjusting levers to change your wrist angle
    Lock on grips if you don’t have some and don’t grip so tight
    Larger grips (I use ODI rogue as they are large and very grippy so I don’t have to hold on so tight)
    wrist support or maybe a tennis elbow strap thingy – I had a lot of pain in both my elbow and my fingers (and dead hands) when riding and playing badminton. Larger grips and a simple strap which push on the muscle just below the elbow really helped with all of it. Some pain is not caused directly by a problem in the area you are feeling it.

float
    Free Member

I get the same thing if i havn’t been to wales for a while, the more you do it the less it affects you.

this, sounds like its just fitness. a powerball might help you build grip stamina.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cramping fingers/hands whilst descending’ is closed to new replies.